Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seeking clarification, and am asking for responses from Wiccans and/or pagans. I am NOT asking anyone to expound on why their particular faith is the way to go.

It is my impression that w/p's seem to arbitrarily choose a faith and go that way. Some w believe in one Goddess, some in many. There doesn't seem to be a set of beliefs that consistently apply (ie, all Christian denominations believe Jesus was the son of God, even if they disagree about everything else).

I'm guessing that I'm missing something (probably quite a lot) and would appreciate any insightful information. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Well, yes, Wiccans and pagans covers about every other religion except Christianity in the strictest definition of the term 'pagans'. So this is like asking what every other religion in the world believes in!

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ellebeaux said:
Well, yes, Wiccans and pagans covers about every other religion except Christianity in the strictest definition of the term 'pagans'. So this is like asking what every other religion in the world believes in!
Well, I'm not being that strict. :)

But okay, let's limit it to people on this board who would define themselves as Wiccan or pagan. What is the foundation, the basic tenets of their belief system?

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'm not Wiccan, but have friends who are. There isn't an easy answer to your question. Wiccans are polytheistic -- God and Goddess, for some, a whole pantheon for others, especially those who follow the Old Norse or Celtic beliefs. There are certain basic beliefs in things like individual responsibility and tolerance and the sacredness of the natural world. Otherwise, believers are encouraged to seek a belief system where they feel most comfortable.

Which probably doesn't answer your question, but it's a place to start.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm Pagan but not Wiccan. "Pagan" is an umbrella-like term that encompasses a ton of different beliefs. Most Pagan spiritual beliefs are intensely personal and change from person to person, so its impossible to generalize in any way. I know from personal experience in trying to explain that its hard for people who are a member of structured religions such as Christianity to get their heads around. That's not a judgement of any kind, just an observation. The two are really like apples and oranges and difficult to compare.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.