Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sort of homesteading I guess, but I am betting more guys come to this forum so here is my question:

My hubby uses a double edged razor. I use his razor blades in one of those razor blade trimmer things to tidy up my pixie cut between times he cuts it, and to shape the back of my hair when I decide to grow it out to a bob. Always worked great.

Until now. He got some Persona blades and where I used to cut my hair for a year or two before needing to rotate the blades, then go another year or so before changing the blades, I cannot get a single trim out of these blades. Literally get one or two swipes combing through my hair and they are dull. Flip to the new side of the blade (pain in the neck to do that) and get another one or two swipes. Makes a mess, does not trim evenly.

He complains he can't get a full shave before they go dull.

Anybody recommend some decent de razor blades?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I just buy mine in bulk off of eBay. I shave once a week, and dry my double edge after I shave, so I get many months out of one blade. SO, ten blades off of eBay will last me many years.
I couldn’t tell you what brand they are, literally the cheapest I could find.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Which Personna blades? The red box blades were being made in Israel but production moved to Germany so, there might have been problems along the way.
I haven't tried the med prep blades; I have read that they are very sharp but don't last long, being intended for a single use before being discarded.
There were also rumors of counterfeit Personnas being sold on-line, but nothing seemed confirmed.

That being said, I've been using Wilkinson Sword blades made in Germany. I had been buying them at Wal-Mart until they were discontinued, then I saw a deal on-line of 100 blades for $10.00, but they've gone up since then. I've been working through those for the past year or two. One blade will normally last me a month while shaving most days.

I often visit a shaving forum called Badger & Blade, (Badger & Blade) and they have a sub-forum related to blades.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
If you’re cutting hair with a razor knife, have you tried a utility knife? I think they are just as sharp as a razor blade, but the blades seem a little more durable. I only flip mine around once a day at work, unless doing a lot more cutting than normal.

·
Premium Member
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! We looked up the thing about fake persona blades, and yep, think that happened. Wrong color inks and packaging. Ordered a different brand.

·
Super Moderator
14,179 Posts
Posted 6/20/22 4:42 P.M CDST

I buy my double edge safety razor blades at Family Follar Store for $3 for a 5 pack and rinse and wipe them off on a towel after shaving and store the one in use in a shot glass of baby oil between shaves and get 18 to 20 shaves per blade and the baby oil soak gives the blade a bit extra early lubrication in addition to preventing rusting and edge dulling.

·
Unapologetically me
21,923 Posts
I use triple edged with the swively head, I don't know the brand, I get them at the grocery store. Might be Gillette.
I use that twice a week but shave with an electric razor (Head and face) every morning.
I guess that doesn't answer your question but sounds like you already figured it out :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts