Question for the Experts.

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by james dilley, Jun 4, 2006.

1. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

What would be the best breed/type to raise here in south Texas outside, Remember we get Alot of days over 100 degrees And it lasts for months.Any ideas I see that there are A few rabbit raisers in the area. It seems that they might be A good place for stock. What do you think. I plan on using misting equiptment on the pens..

2. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

Depends on what the purpose of breeding and raising rabbits is for. The important thing is to acquire stock which has already been acclimated to your climate and environment, and this can pertain to all 47 recognized breeds plus some extra "commercial" ones. If you are not planning to sell to Pel-Freez, but want meat for your own table, don't overlook the Altex, which was created specifically for raising meat rabbits in the warmer climates.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, ARBA Commercial Department Committee

3. james dilley

Just found out ,The Altex rabbits are for sale from Texas A&M in Kingsville Texas for $15.00 each. Sounds good.

4. tbishop

tbishop Well-Known Member

James-
    Do you have contact names and phone numbers for these purchases? I have been trying to find who to contact on the Altex for a LONG time now. Any help would be appreciated.

Tim B.

5. james dilley

No contact imfo. Yet. I looked up there web sit And typed in Altex rabbits Texas A&M and got the prices..

6. tbishop

tbishop Well-Known Member

Well, James, you got farther than I did. Thanks for the help!!

Tim B.

7. james dilley

Texas A&M university Kingsville. For the Altex rabbits, Phone 361-953-3699, Or Fax 361-953-3788. And the contact person According to the web site is Steven Lukefahr. His Email is s-lukefahr@tamuk.edu I hope this helps othere find the breeding stock they need..