Question for the cast iron crowd!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mountaineer, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

Today I came across a smaller CI teapot. Something that I planned to use on a daily basis. I drink lots of herbal tea over winter. Several pots a day at times.
    Ok.... how on earth do you use it without it rusting? How would you wash it the first time?

Help!!!

2. Dink

Dink Well-Known Member

I dont think it would work well for tea.With most pots and pans they must be washed and dryed then put a thin layer of oil on them and burn them in the oven,and they need to be oiled after each wash. :shrug:

Wish I could give advice on a tea pot.<<<<Im clueless.

3. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

The first time I used my cast iron skillet I rubbed it real good with oil on the inside and outside and then put it in the oven for a few hours to "season" it. I also have a cast iron tea pot that we fill with water and let steam on top of the wood stove.
    You have to be sure and season it before you use it and then, each time after you're done using it, empty all of the water and let it sit on the fire until it's dry. If you do that every time you get done with it, it won't rust. It's letting water stand in it that will cause rusting.
    If it does rust, just use steel wool to scrub the rust off and re-season. :)

4. Mountaineer

I didn't think seasoning would work when boiling water but I'll have to try that out. I was afraid boiling water in a seasoned pot would take off the coat?
    I'll have to try it. Not many options!
    It's too small for a humidity pot for a woodstove. Maybe 3 mug-fulls. But that is the only way I've seen a cast iron kettle used!
    Thanks!!

5. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

I received a new Lodge brand cast iron tea kettle as a gift.

I seasoned it like I do all my CI. And we use a LOT of cast iron.
    But I just didn't like it for tea. I found that yes, it did rust and even being well seasoned, I could detect the oil.

I then moved it to the back of the wood stove to keep up the humidity but still had rusting problems.

6. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i was at a flea market and those things sell for $25-$30. nice collectable i guess.

7. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

We don't have trouble with our tea kettle rusting, but then we don't use it very often and we use it for the humidity. But like I said earlier, we dry it with the fire after every single use.
    I guess, give it a try and if it doesn't work, go buy a stainless steel one from Wal-Mart. :)

8. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I always thought that they were meant for putting humidity back into the air. Never heard of anyone drinking from one.

9. Mountaineer

I actually have one of those big ones for humidity. This is a little one, too small for that. Maybe it's for cast iron impule buyers like myself? I love cast iron.
    It was $11.99, which is pretty darn cheap for CI!
    Guess it'll have to be a 'lil helper' for the bigger woodstove kettle!
    Thanks everyone.

10. ovendoctor

ovendoctor north of the lift bridge

I think if u keep it full and hot it should not rust inside
    just oil the outside good to keep it looking nice
    [dont oil the inside it will come off in the water] :nono:

11. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

I got one this year for my birthday to complete my set.

I am planning on using it for humidity on the stove and hoped it would be handy for hot choclate and tea.

Thanks for the heads up on the interior rust. I do plan to heat it dry once in awhile.

12. Jim&Chele

Jim&Chele Well-Known Member

We DO NOT wash our CI in the dish water,we just use straight hot water,then dry it on the stove.The reason why is sometimes if you wash it in soap water,you will have a taste of soap in what is cooked next.And I have heard that when you wash it in soap water,if the water is hot is would kinda be like seasoning it again,heating it up to some degree and then it will take the soap in the pours of the CI.Just my 2 cents.

13. Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny Well-Known Member

I store my CI in the oven. After using I rinse it in plain hot water and scrub with a plastic scrubbie if I need to. Then I place it upside down in the oven (to keep water from settling in the bottom) and turn the oven on for a minute or two to dry it out. Once and a while I will season it with shortening (cuz it's cheaper than oil).

14. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

in China teapots were cast iron and never washed on the inside. . I have no idea how they were initially treated, tea puts down some kind of deposit over time.

15. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Cast iron teapots that are actually used for tea have an enamel coating to prevent rust. Any pure cast iron teapot is just made for decoration or to heat humidifying water on a woodstove.

16. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

Its all what you get use to . I hope to use mine. decoration use of functional items is not my thing.

I try to use it or get rid of it. Makes life less cluttered.