Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my first bag of Soap Nuts!! I'm excited to try them out.

I was a bit dissapointed though when I read on the bag that that you can use them up to five times, BUT have to use them in the SAME day. All information I've seen on various websites that sell the Soap Nuts tout that you can use them up to five times, but never said "In the same day".

I rarely have five loads of laundry to do on one day, so either I have to start really saving loads of dirty laundry or just start washing any & everything I can get my hands on. I'd hate to have to toss the Soap Nuts after only getting one load of laundry out of them.

Has anyone else re-used the soap nuts over several days? I'm wondering why you have to use them the same day. Do they get moldy or something?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Soap Nuts are the dried fruits of a tree (somewhere over the ocean, over yonder) that have a high concentration of saponin in them (basically, natural soap), and can be used as a laundry soap.

Touted by many to be an earth friendly alternative to chemical detergents or "traditional" (as in current) laundry soaps.

Look up "Soap Nuts" online & there will be several companies that sell them or go to wiki & enter "Soap Nuts".

·
Jan
723 Posts
Mine never said anything about using them the same day, however they did say they were only good for 2 loads. So maybe you can do more loads with them if you re-use them on the same day? I never had them go mouldy; what I would do is hang the little cotton bag of used soap nuts on the line with the rest of the laundry to dry, and then hang it in the laundry room if it was stilll a little bit damp.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I've never used them on the same day. I do let the bag dry out so it doesn't get moldy. I use them for about 5 loads or when I notice that they aren't spongy/soapy on the inside any more. I'm all out right now and really need to get more. I think they do a better job than the store detergent and they don't bother my allergies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts