Question for New Zealand White breeders

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Elizabeth, May 19, 2005.

1. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member Supporter

I know that the answer to my question probably varies regionally, but, if you were selling 6 week old NZW bunnies for market classes, how much would you charge for them? and, please, what area of the country are you in? Thanks.
    (would you even sell them at that age? I never sell mine until they are 8 weeks old).

2. March Hare

March Hare Well-Known Member

Depending on the show rules, the exhibitor may need to get their prospect as young as 6 weeks. I agree with you that I don't like to sell at that age, though.

As for what to charge, that will not only vary by region, but also by breeder reputation, lines the stock descends from and availability.

We are in the Houston, TX area, and some of the folks selling pens around here charge exhorbitant (to me, at least) fees for weanlings -- up to over $200 or so for four or five rabbits. In defense of this pricing, however, that line of rabbits quite often places very well at major shows, and it is the line our rabbits are from as well. These are Cals instead of NZs, but breed SHOULD make little difference in my mind for a market pen show. So far, we have sold no market pens as such, but I did sell some prospects to a gentlman who had bought a breeding trio and asked that we do a backup breeding for him. He ended up coming back and buying the eight offspring from the backup breeding for $10/each.

Russ
    www.marchharesrabbitry.com

3. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

From another side of weaning and selling---------

I have weaned thousands of NZ kits at 4 weeks of age. I have sold
    many of these kits at 5 weeks of age for 4H/FFA projects. Some of
    these kits have made trips in excess of 300 miles with no ill effects.
    In Texas, many of the county shows (if you follow the age rules) are
    validating kits at 5 weeks of age. These kits do well in their new home
    provided the exhibitor is not totally stupid about management. We offer
    tips on how best to handle the young kits in their new environment.

Pricing..........Russ stated it well. NZ prices range from $10
    to $35.00 in this area for the same reasons.

Linda Welch
    http://www.texasrabbitconnection.com
    http://www.texasrabbitconnection.com/forums/

4. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

I used to sell meat pens and single fryers to 4-H'ers at $10.00 each w/o pedigree (no discount), or $25.00 each with pedigree before discount, or $15.00 after discount. They had to show evidence of being a 4-H member in order to qualify for the discount, though.... had too many adult buyers trying to take advantage of it because I had top quality show rabbits, too, and offered the 4-H/FFA discounts on all my stock.

Pat Lamar

5. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

In our county(Skamania in WA St), we have to breed for our own rabbits. We have to own mom and dad and the kids have to breed for them.
    Thankfully, we are right down to the wire and today our little NZ doe had babies!!
    We were really starting to sweat it!

Lori