question for long-time Countryside readers

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by RandB, Feb 12, 2005.

1. RandB

RandB Well-Known Member

Since this forum started from the Countryside website, I assume many of you are subscribers, as we are. I was just wondering what happened to some of the people who used to write frequently in the magazine, but not anymore...

One I particularly miss is Bev Sanderlin. I always enjoyed reading about what was happening at her homestead. I don't think she has written in several years, unless I missed something.

Another one I miss is Intentional Peasant, who hasn't written in a long time, either.

Who do you miss, or do you know if these folks are still homesteading ?

2. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't remember her name, but her farm was called Mustang something, she had a daughter by the name of Dakota, she also had a boy. She was a single mom who remodeled a shack into a fine looking house.

Then the man who lived in Baltimore City and talked about gardening in little patches of land.

Intentional Peasant, I thought, just had a recent article.

IMO. the older years had much more helpful information.

3. RandB

RandB Well-Known Member

Kathy,

Those are the 2 I am talking about! Bev was the one at Mustang Creek, her daughter was on the cover one time. I wonder if she is still there ?

IP lived in Baltimore. His articles were very interesting.

I also really loved the issue from the time they asked people to write how they got started on their homesteads. There were some amazing stories! I especially enjoyed the one about the single woman in Florida, who bought her land while going to school, got a used trailer, etc... She sure had a plan and made good on it! I would love to read a follow-up from her.

I still enjoy Countryside, but miss some of those earlier contributors.

4. Nan(TX)

Nan(TX) Well-Known Member

Looks like she is doing alright as of .
    Beverly Sandlin, ’93 (Rollingstone, MN) has recently been named the Winona Area Chamber of Commerce’s communication coordinator in Winona.
    http://www.winona.edu/publications/currents/index_297.htm

Google has her address and phone number too. So I Googled myself . Umm this is quite disturbing.

5. Texasterran

Texasterran Well-Known Member

I have wondered for a long time about Bev, thanks for posting this question, I miss her articles.

6. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

I loved Bev, and her daughter was Montana! She was such an inspiration to me at a time when my first husband had died, and I was trying with three small boys to renevate an non electric house (shack) on 40 acres. I have seen her post a few times on the other forum the one right before this. And Summer someone I miss her. They lived non electric too. :waa: I must be getting old I've subscribed since early '80's My second husband and I bought a box of em on our first "Family" date at a farm show they dated back to the earli 70's late 60's we spent every winter from "95 till our house burnt down in 2000 pouring over the box picking out plans to build/ accomplish for the next year. I miss sitting by a wood burner reading old countrysides by my husband. But on an up note he did help me build a new goat hay manger today! (He still loves me) :D

7. I remember reading about J.B. (shrek) and his wife raising a worm farm. This was before their divorce. Not sure if shrek has had another article in their since.

8. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I've been trying to catch up on reading some of the back issues over the last year or so. It's sure nice to have this site extended from the roots of Countryside, and some of the people still associated here.

9. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

Yeah, the gal in Florida, that was one of the best one's I've ever read. Her dad talked her into a new pickup instead of a used one. The people next door stole her field fence, and left their lawnmower out in the rain, I remember it all. Wonder if she still has that place? Donkeys & sheep she had. Her place was too close to other people though. Oh, and I couldn't believe, was it Beth, who lived way out in the middle of nowhere, with the calves in the homemade quanset, I was so worried about them all the time back then. I am only missing one issue from the last 15 years, and I still love going back and reading them all again and again. Haven't gotten thru the new one yet.

10. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

I have subscribed only since the early 1990's but I read and re-read and re-read my back issues! I feel like some of those folks are "old friends!" I have learned so much and continue learning!

11. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

It is possable that they are still writing but Country side has chozen other stories over theirs. I think they must get a lot to chooze from.
    I have written my story to them but it was never used.
    Or maybe they have told their stories and feel they have no more to contribute at this time.
    I know shrek reads and posts on here so he will know you are wanting more from him. I don't know about the others.
    This issue I just got has more stories in it than any I have read in the past.
    Not nearly as much of a how to raise small livestock as it used to be.
    I pretty much have that part down anyway after 10 years but there are always beginners out there that need the help.

12. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Please note it was jd who wrote the article on sheep milking and cheese making. He is being coaxed out a retirement just a tad.

Ken Scharabok

13. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

We must be on the same cosmic wave here - I recently emailed Countryside suggesting they follow up on some the people who wrote in about finally getting their homestead and see what they are up to in the present. I'm curious if their adventures turned out to be their dream or a nightmare.

14. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Well, I miss JD and the "Beyond the Sidewalks" column he wrote. I wish AnnMarie or whoever would write and tell us a small bit about their lives as editors. All we seem to hear is procedural info (why they won't print addresses, etc.)

15. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

I told my story in a issue of Countryside and receive alot of letters and made a really good friend through it. One man wrote and wanted me to write another one, telling what had happened since, and I did but they never printed it. I have written several since that first one but they just weren't interested. I gave up on them.

I did really enjoy the articles that JD wrote and I will always credit him with changing the directions of our lives. He really cared about the readers and I always felt that he was one of us and trying to steer us in the right direction.

16. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

I think part of the difference in Countryside Mag then and now is that then jd was doing it along side the rest of us! Don't think the kids started from scratch like back when. Different generations, different focuses.

17. Okie-Dokie

Okie-Dokie Well-Known Member

Don't have much time these days to check in here, but I have been a subscriber to Countryside & Small Stock Journal since Hecter was a pup. The person that mentioned that when JD was at the helm, it seemed like we were all in this togather hit the nail on the head. It came as no great surpize that when our homestead burned to the ground the first thing we tried to replace were our back copies of Country Side. We wrote to JD and Anne Marie asking if it was posible to purchase back issues and the next thing we heard from them was a great big ole bundle of magizines being dropped off at our farm gate, no invoice or bill, only a note attached wishing us luck as we rebuilt. That example of neighbor helping neighbor gave us the determination and courage to start all over from the beginning again. Still a loyal subscriber? You bet! Always will be.

18. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Any magazine of a general nature has to try to balance between different audiences. If it is heavy on the livestock aspects, those who enjoy the experience articles aren't happy. Vise versa also.

I have little doubt they won't receive at least one letter or e-mail complaining the last issue didn't have anything on rabbits. That may well be they didn't have any quality submissions or didn't have room.

Size of the publication is a balance between costs and income from advertisers and subscriptions. The more advertising, the less pressure there is on subscription cost. But then some will complain about how much advertising there is vs other material. If the amount of advertising falls off, there is increased pressure to make up the difference by increasing subscription cost. Then advertising revenue to determined, in large part, by readership. The higher the level or readership (which is a factor applied to the number of subscriptions) the more it is attractive to advertisers.

Remember the publication cost also includes some level of living for those employed by the publication. There were times in the past when the Belanger's off-the-homestead income supported the publication. I remember one issue where jd said he could print the issue, but didn't have the money to mail it.

Writers do suffer from both occasional burn-out and a simple lack of anything they think useful to pass on.

I too have suggested they somewhat devote an issue a year to then and now updates.

19. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

The diversity of the articles has alway been an attraction to me. I've still got issues going back to the early 70's and some of the earlier Small Stock Journal issues. There's something to be learned in every issue because the articles are based on experience. I find the articles much more worthwhile than the paid articles in other magazines which sometimes contain errors because the writer hasn't experienced what they're writing about. Countryside is a national treasure of people helping people by sharing experience.