question for forum veterinarians...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by margo, Mar 20, 2005.

1. margo

margo Well-Known Member

Are the antibiotics in capsule form which are administered to dogs, etc. manufactured by the same companies making them for humans? Are they made the same?

2. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Not a vet, but my guess is that they are the same. I have on ocassion administered livestock medicatiions my self, and so far to only side efdfect I have discovered is a horrible predelication for typoghraphical errors and gropsse mispellings.

3. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

I don't know if they are always made by the same company (for example several different companies make generic cephalexin or amoxicillin), but I believe they are basically the exact same thing. I know for instance that Clavamox (vet amoxi/clavulonic acid) is practically the same as human Augmentin (there's not quite as much clavulonic acid in the human form). They are even made by the same company, but I don't know if they are made in the same plants. My boss took some Clavamox and amoxicillin combined when he got bit by a cat last time (and he's still here :rolleyes: ). When I got bit I took the human stuff simply because my MIL was a nurse and got me free samples of Augmentin (I would have had to PAY for the vet drugs! :cool: ). For the most part, I PERSONALLY wouldn't be too nervous taking vet drugs, but LEGALLY I can't recommend it (can't stop you either :D ). Just watch out for adverse side effects/allergic reactions like with any meds. Hope this helps.

4. Neville Aponte

Neville Aponte Active Member

Another related question is about the powdered type that you can give your chickens or bees. Is this the same stuff that humans take? How much would be the correct amount to put into a capsule or capsules for human dosing?

5. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Most folks who do use vet antibiotics use formulas made for mammals not fowl or bees - we are mammals after all. The vet caps are made in different dosages but that is easily adjusted for human consumption by reading the cap. label and upping the dosage a bit.

6. Jodi

Jodi Well-Known Member

I work for a large animal vet and a good number of the medicines are made by the same companies that make human ones. There are even some meds that we distribute to the farms which are the same package that a pharmacist would use in a Drug Store.

Jodi

7. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

When I worked as a tech, I would take the cephlalexin or amoxicillian we had in the clinic for the animals when I got bit or clawed really bad by a cat or dog. It was labeled for animals, but we all used them just the same.

8. Goat4Broke

Goat4Broke Member

I know I've picked up plenty of prescriptions with Pfizer on the label which are indeed the same as 'people' drugs. Dosage/concentration might be different, but it's always clearly marked. Several of the horses' prescriptions are filled at the local pharmacy.

9. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

The ingredients on the lable say it's the same.

The cephlalexin capsules we get for the animals, are 250mg. In a dog would be for 25 lbs. Same with Amoxicillian capsules. But if I ever take any, it's only ONE capsule. I don't take my poundage worth in comparison to dogs. I believe you would go by milligrams. Me just one, because really I never hardly take a thing except bayer asprin. I am probably allergic to pencillian, so I've never taken an amoxicillian or any of the cillians.

The Metronidazole (Flagyl) is for any diaharrea, and I do know people who's doctors gave this to them. I have taken 2 or 3 over the years, and it does stop whatever is buggin your stomach. It didn't hurt me any. I lived. Do not drink any alcolhol with Flagyl, or you will be very sick. (was told this) Each Flagyl treats 10 lb of dog, but I only ever took one ( I'm 120 lbs) and it worked.

I have never heard of anyone taking the powered forms of antibodics, but then I don't know everything anyway. I do use the powered forms for my animals.

The cephalexin is allot better antibiodic than amoxicillian, stronger. Knocks out allot better, but costs 3 times as much. But, it works. The Amoxicillian I use for my nursing females, dogs, they get 1 a day, the whole time they are nursing, to prevent any problems with their mammories. Just one a day, a very mild dose. If their bags were harder, maybe too full, I would give them 1 twice a day, or a double dose for a couple days, especially when I slowly wean the babies off, I keep them on amoxi. The amoxi is very good for healing cuts-scratches on your pets-animals too.

Forgot to say, I am not a vet, just sharing what I do myself.