Question for contractors.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MelissaW, Aug 12, 2005.

1. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this is the best folder to place this question, so forgive me if it's not!

For any contractors out there, I wonder if you might be able to recommend your favorite business software? We've been looking over them at the store, but I'd like some input from someone who is actually using a program. I need it to keep track of the finances, plus I would like something that also allows me to print out proposals, invoices, etc.. Thanks so much for any help!

2. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

I am an office manager for a construction company and do the books for my husbands paint contracting business.

I use Quickbooks pro for both. It does everything you need and more.
    Jobcosting, estimates.invoices,payroll and will dump all the info into a tax program.

You do not need the specialized contractors edition. You can do all the same things with"pro" you just have to learn them yourself.

Jill

3. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

I'll second quickbooks.

j

4. Shagbarkmtcatle

Shagbarkmtcatle Hillybilly cattle slaves

We use Peachtree. My accountant recommended it for our plumbing business. I also have my rental properties on it since you can set up multipule companys on it. It is set up for the different trade companys. I've used it since 1997.

Laura Lynn

5. DAVID In Wisconsin

DAVID In Wisconsin Well-Known Member

Quickbooks here. Have used it for about 6 years with no problems. Does everything that I need.

6. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'
  7. froggirl

froggirl Feelin' Froggy

8. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

I use Quicken Home & Office. It has always done everything I needed and I have never upgraded to Quickbooks lol.

9. MelissaW

Excellent, excellent, excellent! Thank you so much everybody. I'm new to the business end of this, but would like to learn as much as possible to help my husband. Is Quickbooks something I should be able to learn myself, or should I take the course at our adult ed. center? Also, Jill, you mentioned it dumping everything into a tax program. What tax program should I get? I don't have multiple employees to worry about, just my husband who will be the only empoyee of the LLC.

10. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

I believe it is Turbo tax. If you have no employees check out Home and Business quicken. It has been awhile sice I used it but it may do the job and is alot cheaper.

Jill

11. MelissaW

Thanks Jill! I'll look at both of those. An ad popped up for the Quickbooks that said it was $189.00. I was expecting to pay that much, so it wasn't unreasonable. If a cheaper one will do what I need, however, it's definately worth checking into.