Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 barn cats, both neutered. A stray gray tiger stripped cat took up residence in the barn, and had kittens. They are all gray tiger stripped like their mom, except 1. It is what I always heard referred to as a tortoise shell color, black with orange splattered all over. Does antone know what colored cats produce this effect? It's very pretty, and I don't see many cats that color.

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
The yellow (or orange) gene and the black gene are both on the x chromosome. They are allels. So only one of them can be on each chromosome. Since the female cat has two x chromosomes she can have both the black and the yellow color expressed. The male will have either black or orange and only one of them. Most orange cats are male. Your female prob only carries the black and not the orange. The kitten's father is prob orange. The kitten is most likely female. Males would have to be xxy in order to carry both black and orange.

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
I was trying to explain why boy cats aren't calico to a couple of young friends a while back so I did a little research.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
:) Hi'! There is a wonderful book written in. I think, 1996, titled " Cats Are Not Peas: A Calico History of Genetics", by Laura Gould. IT chonicles the adventures of an owner suddenly faced with a tri color male cat and how she learned how he got that way.

So, they do exist and it's an interesting process.

LQ ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts