Question about well water

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tamar, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Tamar

Tamar Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Well, we found a property we are liking in KY. The neighbour however says that the well water is not good as it turn all her clothes RED! What is this? Is there something that can be done to make it drinkable and not red?

Thanks and blessings,
    Tamar

2. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like it has iron in it. Maybe a whole house filter.

3. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

red = iron. Need an iron filter. A softener can do a _little_, but won't help here when things are bad. Often iron water is very hard & you need a softener as well.

--->Paul

4. brownegg

brownegg Well-Known Member Supporter

We had our water tested for this very reason. Turns out that while you may have problems like dis-colored clothes, the iron is actually good for your health because nobody gets the iron needed daily. We had no nitrates in our water, putting our well in the top 1% in the state, even though we have iron!

5. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

Many times Iron just means the driller did not drill deap enough.
    Well drillers often stop at the first vein of water they hit, while a really good driller will go much deeper to make sure the water is good.
    Your county will have topography maps showing where and at what depth the water is in your area.
    You may be able to drill deeper and hit good water.
    But all the posts above are true.
    Iron or sulfer will not hurt you in moderation.
    If its sulfer after having it tested you will want a filter that clearly removes sulfer.
    Good luck.

6. free-2-b-me

free-2-b-me Well-Known Member

We lived at a place for over 20 years that had this problem . It is actually called iron bacteria and it grows in the well . Our water actually came to a trickle and we had to call the well fella to help us out . He pulled everything out and we spent several says flushing that stuff from our plumbing.
    One thing that led to this was we had a whole house filter . We didn't change it often enough and the iron bacteria clogged all of our pipes - oh what a mess that stuff is.
    He told us to put bleach in the well head once a month . This helped a lot .
    Here is a link explaining it if you care to read it .
    http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/water/dwg/febact.htm

7. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Iron is good if you need it. However, if you do not have a blood loss your body constantly recycles the iron in your system. Therefore, it is not advised for women who do not have their period and should be carefully monitored in children. Too much iron is just as bad as not enough.

donsgal

8. MERRYMEDIC

MERRYMEDIC LIVE YOUR LIFE...

My well is like this and I went to Lowe's and bought a whole house water softener and another water filter that was about 35 dollars. The softener was over 500 dollars but now I can wash my white clothes and my showers/tubs aren't red. Also eliminated the sulphur smell. The softener uses salt tablets and they are reasonably priced. My water is so soft now and it makes a big difference in how much soap you use in your laundry.

9. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

This is true. Iron can be toxic. That is why kids should never be allowed access to their iron-fortified yummy vitamins.

10. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

Yes that sure sounds like iron for sure. I had so much iron at another place I lived that I had 2 iron filter tanks on the water, and STILL was not getting all the iron out. But iron is no biggy I like the taste of iron in water. My neighbors place had an artesian well and that ran all the time into a stock tank to water his cattle Ever time I went up there I would cup my hands under the flowing water and take a nice long drink of that iron filled cold artesian well water. I guess that maybe one reason I didn't get the runs when i was in KY. on vacation because I was already used to drinking lots of iron in the water. It is not bad at all once your system gets accustomed to it.lol But it sure raises cane on everything else. Rusted the anode rod in the hot water heater.. And I had to flush out the pressure tank once a month because of so much build up.,. But the well tested safe to drink., I had what my Dad called Iron Forming Bacteria that caused the problem in the well. My Dad and my whole family were well drillers and pump installers. my dad went on the become a City Plumbing inspector for Oshkosh, WI.
    But the well was put in AFTER Grandpa died and Grandma ran out of money to put the well any deeper. It was only at 60 feet. Should have been deeper to get out of that vain but oh well such is life.

11. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

WVPEACH:
    I have iron due to a very shallow well...can the same well be deepened or must a new one be dug to go deeper?

I often have people ask what shade of blonde I am....it varies according to how much Iron-out salt I put in the water conditioning system! Just shampooing it during low salt times can deepen the shade to almost red.
    We don't drink the stuff...I bring in jugs of drinking water.

12. homemom1fl

homemom1fl Well-Known Member

Tamar,
    Where in KY is it? We are in the process of buying 17.4 acres in Greensburg area. I bet you are excited, I know we are!

13. Tamar

Tamar Well-Known Member

:eek: Well! I was excited until this morning.

Seems there was a slight typo....instead of the ad that said 19,000 the realtor told us it was 199,000 :( He can keep the red water too for that price.

It was listed in South shores KY.

Back to searching again.

Sure hope all goes well for you, and I am excited for you!

Blessings,
    Tamar

14. Tamar

Tamar Well-Known Member

Thanks to all who gave advice about the "red" in the water. Its great information to have and hang onto. I copied the thread just in case :)

Blessings to all,
    Tamar

15. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

We have our own well too and had the same problem. The house already had a whole house filter system but it wasn't enough. We ended up having a berm filter and some other filtration system installed which cycles out the bad stuff once a week (the sediment it removes). Since then we haven't had the rusty looking sinks, toilets, bathtubs or clothes that we used to have.

I also have wanted to have some expert well digger come out and dig our well deeper; we just haven't gotten around to it yet. I suspect that would help our situation. I would also like to set up cisterns around the property (barn, house).

16. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in Minnesota, with a deep well it is not allowed to dig an exsisting well deeper, or resleeve it - unless you downsize the casing 4" less than the original. Most deep wells are 4-6" casing, so that ends that.....

Also shallow wells aren't allowed either.

So, if your current well has an issue, one needs to start over generally.

Might want to check your state laws.

--->Paul

17. The Wizard

The Wizard Magic Rules

Quite a difference in price.
    Are you not familiar enough with the area to realize that 19,000 just sounded to good?
    Or is the actual asking price just that way out of line?

18. DJ in WA

DJ in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

More on iron and health - I read that one reason women live longer is their cycles get rid of excess iron. Most men get too much with eating meat. One reason I like to donate blood is to get rid of the excess. Shaving recklessly also helps bleed some out. The men's one-a-day vitamins we get don't have iron in them.

19. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I have iron in my water, brown water and dingy clothes, too. I have to use those whole house water filters or I cannot drink it, eww tastes like rocks. My well is supposed to be 450 feet deep, I am thinking about having it checked, those morons who put it in could be lying. Wouldn't be the first time.
    But then everyone in this neighborhood, all on wells, have the same problem.