question about well pump

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pcdreams, Jun 8, 2005.

1. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

I'm assuming when you look at well pumps you want to look at your static water level to determine which pump you need?

An example. If you have a well drilled at 150 feet and the static level is at 30 ft you would use this info to figure out pump size etc correct?

The area were looking at having drilled, the typical well is from 150-250 feet deep and avg static level is from 24-40 feet.

I'm looking at going with a solar pump so I'm hoping that the 25-40 range is what I need to look at the pump lifting from.

2. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Basically yes. You also have to consider the "draw down". The pump will draw the water down below your normal static water level as it is running. You want to be sure to have the pump deep enough that it stays below the draw down level.

3. 38-72

38-72 Member

ditto what tyusclan has to say about "draw down" and add that most major pumps have published "pump curve" diagrams that help in determining which pump is best suited to meet your needs. It is generally best to go with the smallest pump and add lots of equalizing storage (as much as you can afford). Continously runing a pump doesn't hurt as much turning a pump off and on (ie over sized pumps) that will work a pump to death.

4. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

the static depth is one consideration ,
    Draw down is another,
    recharge rate is another,

the static depth is the level of the water when the well is setting,

the draw down is how far the water goes down when the pump is running, (your pump needs to be capable of pumping from this depth),

the recharge rate or (gallons per min), is how fast water will flow back in to the well and maintain a level with out pumping it below the reach of the pump,

so you will need the knowledge of the three items to make a proper choice, ( the last two are really the ones you need to look at).

5. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

You also need to know if the pump will also lift the water to your house if it is uphill from the well.

6. copperhead51

copperhead51 Well-Known Member

Everything the folks have mentioned here is important in a conventional well system; however, if you're going solar, I suspect you will only be pumping one or two gallons a minute at the maximum. I know to be considered a decent well in my AO, a well must produce twelve gallons a minute. I use a Shurflo 9300. At my depth, I pump about .75 gallons a minute.