Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just brought a victoria grain mill off of ebay. I was wondering if this is going to be sufficient to grind up some corn meal? If so, what kind of corn would I order from Walton Feed for some good cornbread?
Also does anyone use it to grind wheat?

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
We had one of those, with the stone wheels, and it would grind wheat, but it took 2 or 3 passes to get it fine enough for flour. We gave it away after we got a Diamont grinder that does it all in one pass.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK I have a question for you guys. Would you or would you not buy some yellow dent corn from a feed store (stock feed) and wash it and grind it.
I can get 50 lb bag for 6.00!!!! Or I can get it from walton for 1.00 a lb.
I'm kinda scared but I keep telling myself what's the difference. Would you guys do it?? Oh yeah and what is the difference between cracked corn and not cracked?

G

·
I just brought a victoria grain mill off of ebay. I was wondering if this is going to be sufficient to grind up some corn meal?
Corn is just what the Victoria was built to handle. It'll make good corn meal. As with all mills of this type it operates by the Armstrong Method so the more strong arms you have to crank it the more meal you'll be able to produce.
If so, what kind of corn would I order from Walton Feed for some good cornbread?
Yellow dent is the most popular for making meal from.
Also does anyone use it to grind wheat?
You can use it to mill wheat, but it will not produce fine flour in one pass. I recommend first cracking the wheat then tightening the plates to grind the cracked grain as finely as it is capable of doing. You then sift the resulting product and remill anything too coarse to pass through the sifter screen.

.....Alan.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Oh yeah and what is the difference between cracked corn and not cracked?
Well if I had some whole corn and I hit each kernel of my corn with a hammer lightly---just enough to crack it into a few smaller pieces---Then I would have cracked corn, but I run my corn through a grinder set on coarse to crack it.

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
Dent field corn has an off taste in my opinion when used as corn meal. I strongly suggest you obtain a small sample to grind and try first before buying big bag of it.

I use the bulk popcorn in the small plastic bags from Wally World to grind for corn meal. Just dont use enough to justify growing my own. Popcorn by the way is a flint corn and thats what has traditionally been used for corn meal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts