Question about Using a Heated Pet Bowl

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Nette, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

I ordered a "Thermal Bowl" heated pet bowl to use in my chicken house this winter so that the chickens' water won't freeze. I had planned on running an outdoor extension cord from the back porch to the chicken house--approximately 115 feet. The directions on the bowl say NOT to use with an extension cord. Is that just a caution that they put on every electrical appliance, or is it something I should really be concerned about? I had figured on putting the bowl INSIDE the chicken house, and making the connection to the extension cord right near the door. Wonder if the chickens will mess with it too much?

2. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

That warning is because most extension cords have wire that is to small to carry the load. Ive seen light guage extension cords actually blow up when used to power an appliance that draws a lot of power. If you buy a 12 guage extension cord you will be fine, but 115 feet of 12 guage extension cord is goint to cost you close to a hundred bucks. It might be cheaper to buy some 12 guage undergound wire, wire it to a 20 amp breaker in your house, and wire a female plug on it

3. michiganfarmer

come to think of it, to go that far you might need 10 guage

4. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

I needed a big extension cord and that's what I did. I bought the underground wiring and then wired the ends on....so far so good and it was so much cheaper than buying a regular cord.

5. Colleen in WI

Colleen in WI Well-Known Member

Do those heated water dishes work well? I was considering buying one for my outside cat. I change his water 3 times a day because it freezes so fast.

6. michiganfarmer

Ive never used one. Ive only used floating heaters for cattle water tanks

7. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

I have used one for a couple of winters, and they do work, but I also would be careful about using a long extension chord. Not saying I haven't used one, just be careful.

8. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

We have used them for years with the dogs & cats. The first ones that came out called for a heavy-type extension cord that the bowl plugged into. Now the type we have has a long cord on it. They really do last a long time...I honestly don't remember when we bought these. The dogs & cats really do appreciate them!

9. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

at 115 feet..the undergroud 12 ga. cable would be preferred instead of an extension cord..

you might also seriously consider a short GFCI cord at the end of the run.

The heated bowls/pails work excellent..but be sure the cord is protected from animals that chew. Also..enclose the bowl/pail from the wind somehow..we keep in lean-to..and another we encircle with hay bales on 3 sides.