Question about using 7-dust?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Aug 1, 2006.

1. Do they make a fogger that you can use this stuff in? I've been battling the ticks lately to no avail using spray chemicals. Then I remembered that I have some 7-dust that I use on my dogs and it definitely kills the ticks. But the best way I know how to spread it is by filling a sock up with seven dust and then shake it vigerously (spellling!) around where you want it. But this really kills my back if I'm doing a large area. It would be so much easier if they had some kind of a fogger machine to use that stuff through. Anyone know of anything out there?

2. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Most Farm supply stores around here sell them--I even seen them at Harbor Freight and there were some listed on Ebay a few weeks ago. You just pour the dust into it--then hand turn the crank--------Looks similiar to a small leaf blower----Hmmmmm a Leaf Blower could be modified to blow the sevin dust. They also make liquid sevin that you put in a pump-up sprayer. Good Luck!! Randy

3. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

I wonder if you could mix the sevin with water, then put it into a pump sprayer? Would cut down on the risk of breathing it in, and you could get a more controlled application.

How large an area are you looking to cover?

Pony!

4. Jeff-n-Deb

Jeff-n-Deb Member

What about putting the sevin dust in a lawn fertilizer spreader and broadcasting it that way?

5. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Be careful about breathing it in when you spread it.

Frankly, ever since I started using Frontline or Frontline Plus, the number of ticks in my yard that find me has decreased to one a year. I usually find it on my clothing. I used to find them every day.

I think the dogs being treated has affected the area they spend time in by not dropping off well-fed ticks. Also, the younger dog does a great job keeping deer out of the yard and that helps with the other kinds of ticks.

6. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Does DE kill ticks? Seems like it would, and it's not poisonous.

7. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

I think (but may be wrong, and hope someone will correct me if I am) that tick bodies are too hard for DE to penetrate. Having smashed more than one tick with a forcep, or pliers, or between my fingernails (GROSS!), I can testify that they are tough critters.

Pony!

8. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

They are definitely tough. I puncture mine with the point of my pocket knife. I hadn't thought about that but you're probably right, Pony. Bummer.

9. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

IF you are going to use Sevin PLEASE use a liquid. Spray it late in the afternoon so it has time to dry before sunrise!! If you use the powder and put it on any weed, plant, water that honeybees visit. They will get in on them and they will track it into the hive and it kills the baby bees...... Please think about the honeybees....

10. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

http://www.gilmour.com/Cleaning_Maintenance/Professional_Service_Sprayers/Duster/default.asp

I use one of these, to shoot sevin dust. I dont dust the outside becayse like was said, all the bugs wil die....
    I use it inside, to dust in walls and behind stuff that never gets moved, under them and to get the dust in floor cracks and wall edges where fleas will breed.

its a handy tool.

if your going to dust a garden, a crank duster with a hopper would be better.

like this one;
    http://www.planetnatural.com/site/dustin-mizer.html

11. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

12. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I meant good bugs... bees and predator insects.

13. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with Queen Bee. The bees have had a tough time with the mite problems. We don't need to add to their predicament (sp?) when we can do other things. That said, I took a pint jar with lid, puctured tiny holes in the lid and used that for a shaker. That way you only put it where you need it. I only used it for cabbage moths. (Read: spot shake)

In my youth, in college, I studied entomology for 3 years and something I learned about ticks is they can hang on a bush for up to 3 years waiting for a host (deer, dog, whatever) to come along. That is scary!

14. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

I read a bottle of this stuff in the feed store and it blatantly states that it will kill the entire hive when the bees visit the flowers of a plant that the substance has been sprayed on. Definitely not something I would choose to use. :shrug:

15. Thanks C-numb. The dust mizer is what I had in mind if if existed. I didn't know if it did or not. Now if I can find one to order or buy. I'm gonna look around in the local farm and feed stores first.

As far as the tick crystal (diazon) goes, I don't think they make that stuff as strong as they use too. Seems I can spread that stuff around and in about 10 days I will start having ticks showing up again. Plus, right now we are in our annual drought season which means we aren't gonna see any noticeable amount of rain till sometimes in October.

And don't worry, I'm only really needing to spread the 7-dust around my rabbit pens and there isn't any flowers nearby. This is the only place I'm having trouble with ticks right now. My daughters are going bazzerk trying to feed and water their rabbits.

Thanks everyone for your replies.