question about underground propane tanks

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by marisal, Jun 1, 2005.

1. marisal

marisal Well-Known Member

We are going to get an uderground propane tank. The above ground tank is in the way on the additon, and frankly, it's ugly!

So we picked our new propane company, had them out, picked the spot, and are just waiting for the additon to start.

Someone just told me that they have seen places that had buried tanks but put new above ground ones in. Why do you think that is?

Is there something wrong with burying them?

It is ok to bury them in this town. I was just curious if there was some long term problem that I'm not knowing about?

Thanks!

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i almost bought a house with an underground propane tank. not only did the bank refuse to lend me monoey on it, the propane company refused to service or fill it. they said the problem was that if the tank degraded or sprang a leak there was no way to tell that, if it was underground. it becomes a huge potential liability, and someone could easily be hurt or killed.

that's what they told me anyway.

3. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Tanks are made of metal, often steel. Steel rusts. Rust equals weak spot or leak. Not a good thing with propane in it...bad enough if there is heating oil or gasoline in a leaky underground tank. Stick with above ground, creative landscaping can hide it.

4. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

Underground propane tanks are very common here. From muti million dollar homes on down.

Ours is buried. No problems with being filled.

Jill

5. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

I just put mine in underground also. It is definitely out of the norm for this area but I just couldn't see looking at that tank for the next twenty years. Of course, at some point it is going to fail--everything does. Personally, I think it would be better if it failed buried in the ground than above ground. It seems you would smell the propane with less chance of ignition if it is seeping up through the ground.

6. froggirl

froggirl Feelin' Froggy

when we built this house 2 years ago we put in a burried 500 gal. propane tank. Nice to be able to fill up less times a year when the prices are low. They are very common around here. As far as safety goes, the propane outfit manager lives accross the street from us so I'm sure if he was affraid of it breaking down, he wouldn't put one in so close to home. ;)
    --f.g.

7. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...................I bought a Used 500 gallon tank and it sits above ground . That way I can always give it the Once Over . Not possible when it has been buried . Propane tanks are desiged so that if the Liquid is ever Ignited and it reaches Critical Mass just before Blastoff , The END caps will blow off first Thus relieving Most of the Explosive force . If you take a look at a tank sitting on the ground you will notice one weld on each end of the tank that goes ALL the way around the Circumference of the Tank .......this is where the tank will separate . I'd keep my tank above ground . fordy.. :)

8. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

I have a regular gas line here. However, where I grew up and where my parents still live everyone has an underground tank. no problems there.

Shane

9. LWB

LWB Well-Known Member

I have had a 500 gallon underground tank for the past 15 years. No problems. The only problem is getting enough money to fill that sucker up!

10. marisal

marisal Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies!

I didn't think about the insurance issue. I dont want them to raise it anymore then they have! (We have no fire hydrants within 1000 feet so it went really high)

We wont own the tank, so if there are any problems, they take care of it.

Thanks again!

Marisa :)