Question about twin births

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Croenan, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

While I am waiting and waiting for two of my does to have their babies, I started worrying about twins. These girls look pretty big, so I am wondering if anyone can give advice on what to watch for with twins. (if they have them) Like common complications, etc.

I've only had one goat baby :haha: and it went smoothly, but I was worse than an expectant father. I mean, I practically boiled water for the doe! I was/am really afraid that I'll have to do a version (turn the baby...don't know what it's called in goats) So any last minute advice on anything would be awesome....and I know most of you are dying to talk about your babies so please do!! I love to hear about it!

2. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

Croenan, I always get a little nervous when the "girls" are due to kid. I found some information on deliveries on the goat wisdom website. I copied it to keep it in the barn for reference. You know what..I didn't even need to look at it but kept the info. in my head when I had three does deliver their kids this week. Two had twins without a problem. Check out the link below.

http://www.goatwisdom.com/ch1baby_care/deliveries.html

Nappy

3. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

One doe had twins this year, nothing to it, she dropped them just fine, 11pds, and 12 pds. they were big, but then so is she. she weighs about 200 pounds. She is a pure bred Nubian. and a big one as my vet told me. usually they kidd, with no problems. jussssssst watch and see that you see two little hoofs, with the butt, or head, and you are ok. It is better for them to come out feet and head first. but sometimes the ycome back hoofs, and bottom first, and with no problem.

4. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

Hi Croenan,

Twins are more common than single births. Normally (goats have a knack for doing unnormal) the second should quickly follow the first - usually in a few minutes rather than an hour. If there is a third, the same pattern also applies. Watch for the after birth to know when she is done. Goatwisdom is a good sight for reference and keep your computer on for any help or moral support that you might think that you need. I believe that it is goatwisdom that describes the proper presentation as a banana - two front legs outstretched with the head laying down on them. You can help if necessary, but otherwise let nature take its course. If the bag isn't broken and the head is out, I am probably a little quicker than most to break it just in case there is a problem with the umbilical cord. All said and done, after more kiddings than I would like to count, I am still as bad as any expectant father.

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN.

5. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

i firmly believe when i quit getting excited waiting for imminent animal births i need to get out of animal midwifery altoghether

most births are event free,
    that being said , if your doe has been in labor for more than an hour, then you have a complication and need to see whats going on , wash hands with good lye soap , scrub under the nails, get some ky on your hand and go in , usually its jsut a foot backwards, but it can be more, try to move till you feel nose and 2 hooves, mom will not like this, so its good to have help to hold the doe ,
    check out goat wisdom , read all the baby threads here, and you will do just fine .
    Beth

6. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Danielle having twins

Well, here is a page I put together.

There are so many sites with good explanations of what to expect. If you search the archives you should find links to a great many of them. :)

Breathe deep. Remember, birthing is natural and if every animal had trouble giving birth we would not be here. Complications are not near as common as they sound.

7. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the advice, I saw the Goat wisdom site and it IS great. I must have missed that site on my first baby. (I did see the pix and story of danielle and that was nice-thanks!)

Can someone remind me about early mucus? I have a doe that has clearish-white mucus discharge (not tinged yet) and is/has been acting very differently for about 3 days. I am watching her like a hawk right now. I figure that she will be the next to go. How long can this mucus go on before labor usually starts? It's not alot of mucus, almost like she's in heat, but I get drops every now and then. He ligaments are also very loose, which is why I expected to see a baby today.

We are having a storm (low pressure!), so I really figured that she'd go today, but I am still hoping she waits a few days for it to dry out. I delivered the last one in the mud! (long story)

8. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry to say they can show a little mucus like that and not deliver for a couple of weeks. If you get a long thick string of mucus, then you're in business.
    The loose ligaments are a better sign. If they are very loose and the tail is aschew, then it should be within the day, I believe.
    If she has those very loose ligaments, or the thick string of mucus, keep her up close to the barn and keep a watchful eye. No one wants to deliver kids in the mud!!
    Good luck to you. As others have noted, twins are normal, probably more common than singles. I didn't catch what breed you have, but my Nubians regularly have 2 or 3 (depending on the doe). I sold a yearling last year who had triplets her first kidding, and gave her new owner quads this spring!! (That is much less common.)
    You want to see front feet then a nose, but back feet first is also fine. I've even had successful deliveries bottom first, although I have read that is not always so successful. If you just get one leg, or if things do not progress well at the pushing stage, then you need to be prepared to intervene.
    mary