Homesteading Forum banner

Question about turning this trail into a driveway

967 views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  rambler 
Madroaster said:
Thanks...I'd wondered if it was as easy as going that route.

Anyone else with similar experiences and/or horror stories?
I just spent $11,000 CDN getting 200 yards of road put in. It was a horror show, that's for sure, as it should have cost half of that. :Bawling: The municipality was supposed to come in with a grader to cut a ditch and build up the road bed. They screwed around for 3 weeks and never showed. Then it rained for 3 weeks solid.

The ground was soaked, especially in a low spot. The contractor putting in a pad for my mobile tried to keep to schedule and haul in gravel and got stuck to the axles. It turns out the low spot is full of white clay, which apparently turns into a bottomless soup when wet.

Couldn't wait all summer for it to dry out, so we ended up having the whole road built with a backhoe at $100 per hour. I decided to put geotextile down for another $1400 touch, because everything was so wet. On top of it all, the closest gravel pit was closed for a week and I ended up paying 20% more per yard to haul it further.

The road is overbuilt, but the mobile has to get moved on it, so there wasn't too much choice. Looks okay now, though :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.