Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an appointment with my dentist this coming Tuesday. It had been scheduled for tomorrow but the dentist became sick and had to cancel out this week's appointments.

My tooth is hurting which tells me there may be an infection in it. I'm taking Vit C (three 1000 mg tablets 2 x day) so may work fine until next Tuesday.

Just wondering though about the "alternative" antibiotics we have spoken of in these forums, i.e. those for fish! I actually have 3 bottles of these, each being 500 mg tablets. The "fish pen forte (penicillin)" and the "fish flox forte (ciprofloxacin)" are from Thomas Labs and the "fish amoxicilin" is from Fish Aid. Doubt I need to take any of this; but think if I did it would be the "amoxicilin" for this tooth situation.

I've heard, however, should one take a Rx to clear up a tooth infection, the pain is more severe because that infection had deadened some of the nerves in that area. Don't understand this; but hoping someone in here does.

·
Premium Member
30,047 Posts
You just can't catch a break can you?

A hurting tooth could be a lot of things, including a cavity, broken tooth, debris stuck in the gum, injured gum, etc. You don't know why it hurts until you can see the gum around it and look closely at the tooth.

Have you tried pressing a warm, wet bag of black tea against the tooth? I have heard that helps but I have not tried it.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I wouldn't take "fish" antibiotics unless there were no other alternative. If you have a good vet, tell them your dog needs them for a persistent case Ehrlichiosis and they will help you out with reliable antibiotics.

Reactions: altair

·
Registered
955 Posts
I would double down on Advil , drop some antibiotics , rinse with peroxide and then for extra fun you can dissolve an aspirin right on top of it .
We are all getting older and teeth aren’t aging like wine .
Arrr I have 2 crumbly teeth now the f en dentists tells me to come in for a cleaning on the 25th The 25 of April 😂

·
Premium Member
10,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
I wouldn't take "fish" antibiotics unless there were no other alternative. If you have a good vet, tell them your dog needs them for a persistent case Ehrlichiosis and they will help you out with reliable antibiotics.
Fish anti are fine do you have the Keflex cephalexin

·
Registered
13,370 Posts
Half and half ibuprofen and acetaminophen do seem to work for me too.
You can also go to Chinamart in the toothpaste aisle and pick up a large bottle of Listerine Gum Therapy listerine gum therapy - Google Shopping and Crest Clinical crest clinical mouthwash - Google Shopping washes.

I am not a dentist, but I do know that for aging gums and teeth, products like this, or similar, seem to help with toothaches and dental deterioation.

·
STILL not Alice
22,646 Posts
I have had success with warm tea bag (black tea), and also clove oil. Some folks suggest raw garlic, but ugh. I love garlic in my food, but not raw garlic in my mouth.

Good luck with getting that fixed. {{{{hug}}}}

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,843 Posts
I was going to recommend the clove oil as well. I've never tried it personally but have seen it referenced a lot.

·
Registered
13,370 Posts
There is also the Acmella oleracea, also known as the toothache plant.
Flower Plant Fruit Citrus Natural foods

When chewed, it has a numbing effect on the mouth. This local anesthetic effect is due to spilanthol, the plant’s main active ingredient.

It also has plant compounds called flavonoids. The flavonoids reduce prostaglandins, which interfere with your perception of pain.

·
Premium Member
10,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fish anti are fine do you have the Keflex cephalexin
I only have the 3 mentioned in my initial post. And I have found "Goodies" powders (one at a time) is working...along with the Vit C

·
Premium Member
10,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Half and half ibuprofen and acetaminophen do seem to work for me too.
You can also go to Chinamart in the toothpaste aisle and pick up a large bottle of Listerine Gum Therapy listerine gum therapy - Google Shopping and Crest Clinical crest clinical mouthwash - Google Shopping washes.

I am not a dentist, but I do know that for aging gums and teeth, products like this, or similar, seem to help with toothaches and dental deterioation.
Ok I will as both show to be located at Walmarts. Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
There is also the Acmella oleracea, also known as the toothache plant.
View attachment 104465

When chewed, it has a numbing effect on the mouth. This local anesthetic effect is due to spilanthol, the plant’s main active ingredient.

It also has plant compounds called flavonoids. The flavonoids reduce prostaglandins, which interfere with your perception of pain.
Thank you. I'll see if I can find some that might grow here. :) Found the plant and it appears it only grows in zones 9-11. I'm in 7. :(

·
Premium Member
10,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It does seem that so much is hitting me right now. So glad I have a son like David who is now cleaning up the kitchen for me. :) We had to go out today and pick up some more feed for the fowl, went a little bit farther and picked up a few items for the house. (Picked up some "Corona Extra" BEER too. Know I cannot drink much and actually am not really a drinker; but thought it might help with all this pain I've been suffering from; and it is probably better for me than soda pop.)

David was making so much noise I just asked him what he was doing; and he told me he was cleaning the glass top on the range so I would not need to do it. Truly blessed I am!

Reactions: Pony

·
Registered
13,370 Posts
Thank you. I'll see if I can find some that might grow here. :) Found the plant and it appears it only grows in zones 9-11. I'm in 7. :(
I found this video that was filmed at Baker Creek (seed company) in Missouri.. They should be in the 6b-7a growing zone.

·
Premium Member
10,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks. I went over to Baker Creek and ordered a catalog. Despite that company showing the video talking about this toothache plant, when I did a search at that site for the plant I got message it did not exist. ??

·
Premium Member
10,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I'm in correspondence with Baker Creek and have ordered some "flowers" of this toothache plant. Should be getting a catalog within a few weeks. :) Thanks everyone

Until then I've discovered continuing this Vit C (three 1000 mg tablets) daily and an occasional Goodies Powder is working to keep the pain down to tolerable. :)

Wouldn't you know it!!! Our area is expecting a bad snow storm Sunday; and if it stays on the ground it just might cancel out my dental appointment next Tuesday. Oh dear!!!!!

At least we were smart enough to get our shopping for the animals done yesterday.... :)

Reactions: Danaus29
1 - 20 of 22 Posts