Question about Taxes?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mom in oklahoma, Oct 30, 2004.

1. mom in oklahoma

mom in oklahoma Well-Known Member

How would I be able to find out taxes for different counties? :confused: I am intrested(SP?) in Nowata County, Oklahoma, and also Labette County, Kansas.
    Thanks for any help,
    Rea

2. Bob in WI

Bob in WI Well-Known Member

What kind of taxes are we talking here?

Income -state and or local
    Sales -county or state
    Property

3. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

4. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

Check with the Judge of Probate and the tax assessor's office in the counties you are interested in.

Also check and see if they have a weekly or daily newspaper published in that county and find out which reporter covers county government....ask them lots of questions about taxes, possible land use restrictions, and possible zoning, so you will know what's in the planning stages in all that too!

5. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Fast way is to contact the local chamber of commerce in the county seat of the county you are interested in. Ask them for their "relocation" packet which contains all that information and also info about schools, medical facilities, jobs, etc. Or you could go on-line for those counties - they usually have a site with that info posted.

6. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Well---if it was me wanting to find out the taxes in any county, I would call or write the county treasurer's office and ask what the mill levy is---not just for the county, but for each of the taxing areas within the county. After all, that office is responsible for accurate tax collection.

School districts within a county can have and very often do have different mill levies so that there is no standard tax throughout the county.

The county treasurer's office can also tell you what the sales tax rates are for the area, again varying with each city within the county.

You should also compare acessed values of property. Seems to me that they don't always raise the mill levy for more revenue, sometimes and seemingly often they just declare that property has more value, thus additional taxes due.