Question about tattooing babies

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milking Mom, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

When you tattoo your baby goats say Goat 1 had 2 kids, those kids would be numbered 1 and 2 respectively, then Goat 2 has 1 kid, that kid is number 3? and Goat 3 had 2 kids, then those kids would be 4 and 5. Is this right?

Do you know what the letter is for 2005?

2. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

That is correct. Although, actually I don't bother to tattoo meat kids, so I only number those that are going to be registered. Some people tattoo MEAT on auction kids.

The 2005 preferred letter is "V"

Tracy

3. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

I have to remember to check which forum these messages are on - my heart stopped for a minute when I though you were talking about tatooing human babies! :eek:

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Hi an although this is how alot of us do it, the only rule is that the right ear or tail web must contain the herd sequence, you can put whatever you like in your left tails and ears, any system that works for you, as long as it doesn't appear in another one of your animals in 10 years. So if you want to be different, be different! :cool: Vicki

5. Melissa--DryCreekAcres

Melissa--DryCreekAcres Member

Your method is the right one -- but you can vary that according to your own preferences. I've known owners that have a code relating to the month of birth, but that's just their own systems.
    The ADGA Tattoo Policy can be found here:
    http://www.adga.org/tattoo-policy.html

And there is information in the ADGA Guidebook regarding tattooing in the Appendix. Just go to the Appendix and scroll down to the section on Tattooing. And -- the Guidebook says that you can't use the same tattoo for 20 years -- but most of us don't have too much of a worry in that regard.
    http://www.adga.org/2004-appendix.html#100

6. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

You COULD use any sequence or system for your tattoos, but if you get a herd tattoo from ADGA, future owners of your goats will be able to trace them back to where they came from.
    Look how fast Susanne was able to ID her Nubians and get in touch with their breeder.