Question about tapewormers for dogs

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by BoxerMomTx, Aug 4, 2006.

1. BoxerMomTx

BoxerMomTx New Member

Hello I have been told you can use a product called Prazi Pond Powder for fish for removing tape worms from dogs. it is Praziquantel. I have not been able to find any mg info on it. I have been useing the tapes for fish made by Thomas Labs for a while now. It comes in 34mg capsules and 170mg does anyone know about Prazi Pond? THanks

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Praziquantel tablets come in 34 Mg sizes for dogs but Ive never heard of using a pond treatment for dogs. I guess if its the only ingredient it would be safe.

I use Safeguard 10% "goat wormer" for my dogs for tapeworms Its active ingredient is fenbenzadole. Dosage is 1 ML per 5 lbs body weight, given 3 days in a row http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/beaglehealth_canineintestinalworms.htm

3. BoxerMomTx

BoxerMomTx New Member

yes i use safe guard also every 6 months and use Pyrantel Pamoate monthly with ivermection. I know that safe guard only kills one type of tape not all 9. Praziquantel wills all 9. I only use it when there is a problem. I use FishTapes that come in 34mg per capsule, or you can buy the 170mg capsules for your larger animals, you just mix it with a little water or sprinkle it on a treat. Here is a link of one place you can buy them.

http://www.calvetsupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1090
    I usually buy mine from Revival Animal.com

I help with a animal rescue and the Prazi Pond product would be cheaper for there with so many animals. I just came accross it, it is 100% Praziquantel and it is the only ingrediant.
    GoldenMom maybe you can answer this one??????

4. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Personally I don't know anything about using fish wormers/pond wormers in a pet. I would question the purity myself, but if you're comfortable using those types of things I don't see why there should be a problem.

5. Wildtim

Wildtim Well-Known Member

I also use safe-guard when I suspect Tape worms. It kills the only type of tape caused by an organism not allready vaccinated for in the usual seven way shot.

6. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Huh? The usual seven way shot is DHLPP-C (distemper, hepatitis, lepto X 2, parainfluenza, parvo, and corona). All viruses except the leptos. There is no vaccine for tapeworms.

7. BoxerMomTx

BoxerMomTx New Member

Thanks GoldenMom! Guess i will stick with the capsules, been using them (34mg capsules) and had no problems. I think she is going to add the powder Garlic/Brewers Yeast at the resuce to help keep fleas gone and help prevent the tapes. Thanks!