Question about SPINACH

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by rwinsouthla, Jun 14, 2006.

1. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

I have some questions about spinach and how to grow it. I will try it this year for the first time.

1. Does it grow in individual plants like lettuce? Or is it a bunch of smaller plants?
    2. pH of soil needed?
    3. Where are you and what types do you grow?
    4. Anyone with South Louisiana spinach growing experience?

Thanks in advance.

Ray

2. ginsengsally

ginsengsally Well-Known Member

Spinach is a cool weather plant. Here in NH, it tends to bolt after June because it gets too hot. If I were you I'd grow it in the winter in La. Perhaps shading it could help? One seed produces one plant, or you can seed thickly & clip the baby leaves for salad mix. Ph should be at least 6.0 & preferably between 6.5 and 7. Good luck! (Oh, yeah...spinach has a hard time germinating if the soil temp is over 85 degrees as well)

3. Dahc

Dahc Don't Tase me, bro!?!

Spinach doesn't grow well here anytime except the spring and it is short-lived then. You are probably in 8a or 8b. We're in 8b and have switched to malabar spinach. It's not true spinach but it's supposed to be very nutritious and it will grow the entire growing season, spring to fall, until a frost makes it die back.

I haven't tasted this stuff but it looks like it might taste alright... lol. I have given up on real spinach. It's so tempermental with temperature and the bugs destroy it before I ever get any. Discouraging.

If you really, really want spinach and nothing else will do, I would take ginsengsally's advice.

4. rwinsouthla

Dangit!!!! I knew one of you southerners would kill the idea. Yeah, we're in Zone 8b, pushing 9. I had one freeze last year....all the way down to 31!!! My tomatoes didn't even die!!! I'm gloating this year, but'll probably get burned next year.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it. Looks like I'll wait until November to try it.

Ray

5. wiggles12

wiggles12 Active Member

Ray,

I live in zone 9/10 (just outside of Austin, Texas) in clay soil (but well ammended at this point). I grow spinach from October to May with no problems at all. I could probably start earlier, but it's not worth all the watering because of the heat. I have tried several different varieties and all have done very well for me.

Go for it, what's the worse that could happen - you get too much and have to share with family and friends?? Good luck!

Kim

6. rwinsouthla

Thanks Kim. I AM going to try it. I already bought some seed and will start them in mid-August.

You're right. Fresh veggies to the neighbors and family make you a king!