Question about Social Security(at 62)..<>..and Medicare

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordy, Oct 27, 2004.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............I was under the assumption that if I start SS at age 62 I will also be enrolled in Medicare . BUT , a friend said that I won't be allowed to enroll until age 65 . Anybody know for Sure???...fordy... :eek: :confused:

2. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

Medicare does not start until age 65 regardless of when you start collecting SS.

3. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Fordy, I am a real ditz at this stuff but I can tell you that started my SS early at 62, and I am just now eligible for Medicare as of my next birthday in DEC.

You can find out everything you want to know by just calling SS. I have found them to be very helpful and I must say, it's a bit scary what they will already know about you. LOL

do call them, they will be happy to answer all of your quesitions.

good luck with things. LQ

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..........Thanks MW . I can't qualify for full benefits until 66 but I'm still 5 years shy of 62 . So I guess I'll have to stay healthy until 65. Thank you for your help , fordy :)

5. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

Dont know about the 62 thing but I do know even if you have cancer or an imminent death causing disease or just bad nerves, well no matter what if you qualify for disability you do not receive Medicare until 2 years after your qualification date. I had a cousin that came down with cancer at 32 and he got his disability in 6 months but died before he ever received medicare in 2 years. He would be alive today if not for the 2 year rule. His check was 9 dollars too high to qualify for medicaid

6. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Keep in mind that only Medicare part A is avialable for all SS recipients at age 65 at no cost. Medicare Part B which covers 80% of dr. visits, etc with a $100/yr deductable, costs in 2004 $66.67 PER MONTH automatically taken out of your SS check - if you agree to participate in Part B. You can sign up once a year on your qualifying date BUT you are penalized 10% if you do not sign at the FIRST available qualifying date. I just had a long discussion with SS about this yesterday as I qualify in February myself for Medicare.

7. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Fordy- SSI has a good web site also. I know for a fact that I can get SSI at 62 but must wait till 65 for medicare if it is still around by then LOL. Also if you sit down and really figure it out....you will lose money by waiting till 65 to file for SSI unless you live to be well into your 9th decade!

8. anne dodds

anne dodds New Member

you can rec. S.S. at 62 , I did on survivors benefits. but you have to be very careful about any OTHER income, ok. Really didnt take that long anyway. no medicare until 65, but found clinic that will take you on your income and has 5.00 scripts. not bad really. sincerely anne

9. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

anne dodds, in my case I can make up to $30,000 in outside income before I start losing $1 of SS for every $2 I make. I'll never see anywhere near $30,000 per year. LOL I took SS early just to be able to start getting back some of what I put in and I work part-time at home.