question about seperating billy goat from "his girls."

Discussion in 'Goats' started by BamaSuzy, May 26, 2005.

1. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

I have a new 65 x 45 ft. area all fenced in and almost ready for our Billy Goat, Harley. Both our girls appear to be pregnant and I want to get him moved out before the due date.

How unhappy is he going to be???? There is a large fenced chicken area (about the same size as his new fenced area) that shares a fence with his new area and is between him and where the girls will still be.

Will he be really unhappy because he might can still see them and hear them?

Would it be better if I got a couple of small sheep or something else to put in the new fenced area with him????

He is a really sweetie and is really protective of his girls but I'm afraid that with them as both first time mothers and with him BEING a billy goat, that he might hurt the babies....

I've made the new pen out of 5 feet tall dog wire and it's really sturdy with wooden and steel posts....he's never escaped from his current area which is made of the same wire and posts....but he's always been in with the girls ever since we got him in laste summer...

2. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I never keep my bucks in with my girls. one is because, I take the does to the buck, and put them in a stall in the barn, when she comes into heat. that way, I know exactly when she will kid,
    2, a buck will and they do rape does, and they will ride them , when they are pregnant, because he smells the hormones in their urine, and he thinks they are in heat,
    and thereee, this can cause miscarriages and can kill the babies she might be carrying.
    but if he can see the girls he should be alright. you might try putting a couple of sheep in with him , to make friends with , or a whether, and they will become friends, IF you have boys born, never, put them in with the buck , until they are large enough to protect them selves, it is just goat play to head butt, to establish the pecking order. I don't put youngf does in with older does either. just not a good idea.
    for the same reasons.

3. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

I would put a wether goat in with him for a friend. He will get terribly lonely over there by himself and that could cause health problems for him. I wouldn't put sheep in there because sheep and goats need different minerals.

4. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

Since it sounds like they will share a common fence, he might do ok. I would get him out of the other pen though. Mine was ok around the pregnant does until they went into labor and he will go after the doelings, if he can get to them. I had the same situation, my buck was the smallest in the herd, but my only other pen is across the farm so I couldn't separate him completely. Since we didn't want anymore babies, we just had him wethered. Now he's busy re-establishing his ranks amongst the ladies.

You could always give it a try for a few days, but watch him closely, if he gets stressed, of course he could get sick, but he might do ok if he still feels to be a part of the group. You might even be able to let the does go in there with him for a few days so that it feels like home to him too. Just be prepared to get him a friend quickly if you need to.

5. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

Ooops, I guess they don't share a fence. Move him in with the chickens...LOL

Honestly, you might just go ahead and consider a wether unless you can wait to see when your babies are gonna be.

6. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

my buck is only with my does for breeding, and they don't really need a buddy, at least i have never noticed him needing one. he tried to kill my friends whether when she brought him over, so he doesn't seem to kneed friends. then again, he does share a fence with the does, also.

7. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

My buck started beating on the does so I moved him to his own pen and would bring the does to him. They couldn't wait to get out after the deed was done so he was kept alone. Now he is worse and I can't even bring the does to him. He just kept beating on everyone, crying to me the whole time. He tried to beat on me last time I had to go in his pen too. Can't in good conscience sell him to someone for breeding. It kills me that I paid alot more then normal for him and will lose it.

8. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I have found a solution that (so far) has worked for me. Last June I bought two 8 week bucks , of two different breeds, a LaMancha and a Boer, and let them grow up together. They were taken to their respective does to breed when each doe came into heat. They are over a year old now and remain the best of roomates. They take out their frustrations on each other, head butting and riding, contantly changing "who's in charge" but never get really overly rough with each other as they have been together since they were so young. Since they are used to living with another buck, I am hoping to keep them social enough to continue in this manner if I need to add another buck later. By expanding the pen as they grow, giving them room to get away from each other and monitoring the amount of flesh they are carrying, I feel I can provide a safe home. The LaMancha is disbudded and the Boer has horns. So far this has not been a factor. I need a new LaMancha buck or buckling this season so we will see....(of course i would not add a buckling to the mix).....Diane

9. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

The breeder my little buckling came from had three grown bucks and a buckling all together. They were in a yard maybe 25X12. Said she never had any problems.