question about saving/planting mustard seeds?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by r.h. in okla., Jul 4, 2005.

1. I'm in the process of harvesting some mustard, radish, broccoli, and cauliflower seeds and am thinking about planting them for a fall harvest. My question is do I need to place them in the frig or freezer until fall planting time or just keep them in a dry place? I don't know if they need to go through a cold spell before planting?

2. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Mustard:

Sow seeds thickly in early spring and again in early autumn. Mustard is a cool weather crop and will bolt, flower and form seed if planted too late in spring. It does not transplant well. Start thinning the plants as soon as they're large enough to eat. They won't grow to full size if they're closer than 30cm apart. During short, cool days in the fall, mustard greens will grow large and still be tender. It tolerates cool, but not cold climates. Mustard will grow in moist, fertile soil pH 6.0-7.5, though it tolerates ordinary garden soil, and should be in full sun. Moisture is essential. Remove flowerheads to prevent self-seeding.

If grown in small containers, mustard can be eaten as sprouts. To use the leaves as a vegetable, snip off the leave about 10cm above the soil. New leaves will grow. If the plant bolts, collect the flowering shoots and tender young pods. Whole rosettes of young plants are taken from Black Mustard. Larger leaves can also be used if the stringy midribs are stripped out. For seeds, cut the plants off at ground level after the sprays of pods have turned brown, but before they split. This usually occurs in late summer. Seeds will ripen in the pods. Hang them to dry over a catch-cloth. Handle the seeds carefully when crushing, the juice is a strong irritant.