Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The forsythia at my folks' old home has taken over. I'm cutting it back and pulling roots so that it's just a double row, instead of many feet wide. The bits that are left in the soil seem to regrow, though I think I will win :) I want to know if I chip the branches and stems, will that grow new plants, too?? What if I chip and compost ? I don't like trashing things that can be composted.

T

·
0 Posts
I would take some roots! :)

You might be able to till them under... And shred the rest. It should compost well once cut up. If I recall, forsythia is one that propagates from cuttings, so make sure they're munched up small and composted.

·
Premium Member
8,354 Posts
I had the same situation a few years ago. I just used a chainsaw to cut them all to the ground, then dug up all the extra roots. I burned mine, then rototilled and planted grass. Now I can keep them trimmed each year and mow under them so the stem tips won't reach the ground and take root. If you can get a nice "cascade" effect by keeping the branches pruned a little, the effect will be breathtaking when they bloom. I also "blow" lots of fallen tree leaves into the row each Fall to create a mulch.

geo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts