Question about registration

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TennesseeMama23, Dec 6, 2006.

1. TennesseeMama23

TennesseeMama23 Well-Known Member

The boer buck I just got (Meathead) is registered with 2 different places- the ABGA and USBGA. I was wanting to know if was really necessary for him to be in both. Which is better? Advice?

Thanks
    Melanie

The reason I am asking is the cost and trouble involved in transferring registration into our name.

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I would imagine ABGA is still the premiere registration site.

You mostly keep up with registrations for sales, so pick the one with the clout to make you more money over the lifetime of your goat project. Are your does and kids going to be registered via ABGA? Than keep up his paperwork with them...then tell others that he is also registered via the other one.

Who puts on the most shows in your area?

Who are the herds in your area or on the internet with similar quality stock to yours registered through? Vicki

3. TennesseeMama23

TennesseeMama23 Well-Known Member

I am not planning on raising boers at all. I have dairies and would like to have percentages to get a little better price for the kids. I was just wondering if it was like AKC vs. CKC (CKC is a crock in by book).

I have no idea about the shows.

thanks

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Well I am not going to say it's like AKC and CKC...although I only have ADGA registered Purebred Nubians :) and the same with my ShihTzu's and Ridgebacks AKC :)

But if you aren't going to raise boers than his paperwork is only for his resale for you. So not alot of reason to even transfer him. Vicki

5. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

No, I disagree. Choose the more prevalent registry and use that one. But register him in your name so you can register his offspring as percentages. That way you can get more $$ for his kids than if you were to not register him/his kids.

6. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I have been with USBGA for three years now and its been a very good experience. No problems and super nice people. :)