Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to start my first venture into raising ducks! My main purpose for having ducks is for the eggs. But, I know that they live up to 3 times their laying age so my question is, are ducks suitable for meat at a ripe old age of 4 or 5, when they've stopped laying? I wouldn't dream of just abandoning any animal but I also don't want to accumulate too many ducks while taking on more for eggs while still taking care of the older ladies too. I'm considering Khaki Campbells and blue runners, if this makes a difference in guiding me. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
You can always can or pressure cook the meat like I do with old layers and adult roosters. I don't like to waste a critter either.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Tougher but edible is the best description. You would get more salvage if you went with a laying strain of pekin. The runner ducks are small, and older females tend to be a little bony. If you can find someone that raw feeds their dogs, they might be highly interested in the older ones you are phasing out. There are groups you could join to find people in your area, and it seems to be a growing trend.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tougher but edible is the best description. You would get more salvage if you went with a laying strain of pekin. The runner ducks are small, and older females tend to be a little bony. If you can find someone that raw feeds their dogs, they might be highly interested in the older ones you are phasing out. There are groups you could join to find people in your area, and it seems to be a growing trend.
This is great advice, thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts