Question about racoons

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bridget, Apr 28, 2005.

1. bridget

bridget Well-Known Member

I asked this question on another thread and thought I would like to ask here also. At 9am today I was walking my 2 dogs when I saw a coon about 40 feet away ambling across the path. He didn't seem to notice us then he climbed up a tree and sat. I got my dogs out of there since I know nothing about racoons.

Never saw one around here before-I live in a surburb of Minneapolis and my area is heavily populated. Usually there are several large dogs running around and no other critters come near.

Other folks feel the coon is rabid, how can I tell? Should I call animal control? I would hate for the coon to be put down if nothing is wrong with it.

2. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Call animal control. They will know what to look for and wont kill it if unnecessary. A racoon that late in the morning is definitely odd but no necessarily rabid.

3. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

Unless the critter was acting sickly, I doubt he is rabid. However I would call animal control so that they can capture the rascal and release him elsewhere. Coons, skunks, and even possum are many times attracted to populated areas because they looooove to raid trash cans. If you've seen one, chances are that with time you will see plenty more. Get yourself a trash can that has "lockable lid", and maybe ask your neighbors to do so as well. the harder it is to get to the food...the less likely it will be for critters to hang around.

When I was a child our dog killed a mother coon and orphaned it's young. We raised that little feller until it was of breeding age, and then he just left. He was never what I would call a pet, 'cause he didn't live in a cage, and could come and go as he pleased. He was great fun to watch though...I'll never forget the time we had company and he helped himself to a cookie in our breadbox and then sat himself down right at the ladies feet. She just about come unglued.

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................Bridget , IF you see a coon that acts like it has no fear of you or your dogs , IT is Probably Rabid. It's brains have been turned into scrambled eggs !! On my way home this afternoon I saw just such a Coon ambling along the side of the road acting like it was having a balance problem . Looked wild and crazy in the Head . Had I had my shotgun I would have shot it and called the appropriate agency . fordy.. :)

5. Marchwind

Marchwind Fiber Arts forum Mod. Supporter

Southwest Michigan by way of the Northwoods of MN
    Bridget, I've been raised with coons that were raised by us. They had no fear of people or dogs. Although it may be unusual to see one where you live, at that time of day it is not unheard of. Racoons are not strictly nocturnal just like they are not strict hibernators. This could be a coon that is a pet of someone in the neighborhood, or one that was hand raised and released.

You could call animal control and ask how you might know if the animal is rabid.

Skunks are the biggest carrier of rabies at least in Minnesota. The DNR clearly states that if you see a skunk during daylight hours they should be shot.

The only way to know for sure if an animal has rabies is to kill it and to send it's head to the University to be tested.

6. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

We live in a suburb and we are the only ones in this neighborhood with a sliver
    of woods (really just some trees in the back of yard). We have a skunk
    family that lives under our shed and if we don't bother them, they don't
    bother us.

We have racoons that will get into the trash if it's open, and they are
    defnintely not afraid of humans - atleast at night. One night i have stood at
    my door with the light on and banged on it and those little buggers
    wouldn't get their buns out of the trashcan and the other one just kept reaching it's arm into the cereal box eating bits of food while watching
    the show of a crazy women flashing the light on and off and yelling and
    banging on the door -

Wondering what creatures we will see when we move rural in 7 weeks?

7. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

I fear it was likely rabid.
    I have raised orphan racoons. They were always active at night.
    Even wild ones will practically walk up and shake hands with you at night.
    Some years ago, we had rabies run wild through here.
    Every coon I encountered during the day was rabid.
    It was a miserable time.
    Please be careful.
    P.S. There's an outside chance that it might have Parvo, but that isn't good for your dogs, either.

8. jrw422

jrw422 Well-Known Member

Yea be careful with that one. You don't normally see coons in the day, same with possums. I had a possum in front of my house here in town a few months back just going round and round in circles. I stuffed it in a garbage can and called animal control. I don't recommend anyone mess with one like that if you have not been around them and know how to handle animals.

BTW are coon hides still worth anything? Been 30 years since I have been coon hunting,trapping and selling hides. Sure do miss it.

9. blazingguns

blazingguns Well-Known Member

We had a coon here about 1 year ago, that came around in the daylight, and was acting real funny, DH shot it, and we had it checked by the vet, it had distemper, Thank God my dogs had, had their shots, as both dogs tried to attack it, but did not get bit.

10. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

We had a full sized coon walk around our house at 11:00am and make his home in a window well. My wife followed it a few steps behind it with a video camera. It sat a long time then walked around the perimeter of the house including on our porch then into the woods ... also held it's foot weird.
    I got home and said "you didn't shoot it??!!!" I won't let something like that around our kids acting like that!
    I told her she HAS to shoot it next time. As luck would have it, the next day I was home and sure enough, there he was. I walked right up to it. It didn't try to leave or hiss or anything. I destroyed it.

11. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

FYI: A HUGE statewide gov't rabies vaccination was underway in Ohio and Pa the last couple years. They shoot baits out of planes all over the place. Don't know about this year.
    Supposedly it drastically and almost completely irradicated rabies in coons in Ohio, where it was first tried a couple years ago.

12. dscott7972

dscott7972 Well-Known Member

At State parks (at least the ones in IN we go to) coons have almost no fear of people, had one come up on the picnic table with one of my children sitting there. It was not rabid. I've read a recent report on coons by the National Park service and supposedly there are no rabid coons west of Ohio. I was suprised by this report because I thaught coons all over where rabid but it is reported it that it is very rare.