Question about rabbit pelts

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by myrandaandkids, Oct 4, 2006.

1. myrandaandkids

myrandaandkids Well-Known Member

what type of rabbits bring the best kind of pelts? or does it matter? also how do you price them? who do you sell to? individuals? companies? is there a certain method of selling them, like in lots or anything? do you do anything with them? any ideas on things to use them for? still feeling my way on all this so i appreciate any assistance.

2. mywhitehares

mywhitehares Member

Here is what some people do with them ( 111 items found for rabbit pelts on Ebay)

3. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

LOL...I'm also feeling my way with the whole pelt deal...we are in the process of tanning some at the moment, so we'll see how that works.

The market for rabbit furs is unstable at best (although there is a growing demand for the pelts used in making felt hats), but from what I hear, Rex and Satins are commonly used for that market. There's numerous breeds with interesting colors and patterns...check out the ALBC website (www.albc-usa.org, click on conservation priority list) for some of the rarer breeds.

Be interested in knowing what you find out...I'll probably be looking for a market for our Creme d'Argent pelts eventually.