Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got two new rabbits from another breeder, and we were wondering if we had to quarantine them. What should we look for? And should we treat them with anything right away? Our rabbits are in a garage, and if we did quarantine, how far apart should they be? Thank you!

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
I like to quarantine for three weeks if they come from a breeder I don't "know" :cool: Feed and handle them after all your other rabbits. My barn isn't huge, but I can put them in different sections to keep them separate. In your case, as far apart as you possibly can with the space you have.

I wouldn't treat them with anything, unless their condition warrants it - if it ain't broke, don't fix it! :cowboy:

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
I quarantine in a different room or building for at least 2 weeks and a day. Incubation of about everything I know of is 14 days or less. I feed/water/clean that animal last and do not go back into the known healthy animal area until I have washed and changed clothes- if I was cleaning. Shoes worn into that area are covered with plastic and the plastic disposed of when I am done or I will keep a plastic tray of water with bleach near the entry to step into. Maybe I am paranoid, but this is the procedure I used when I had a dog on quarantine for possible parvo and had already lost one. I would rather be safe than sorry. In that case it was a highly contagious virus, so I also had clothes JUST for when I entered that area as well, wore rubber gloves and bleached the area daily (yes, even the grass).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts