Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a good sale on russet potatoes at a local store and I am wondering how do you store them to keep them fresh? I have a basement that stays cool but how do I keep them from having the mice or other things get into them and eating them? I don't go through them real fast but would like to get them for when I do want them. I can get 50# for $10.00. Thank you in advance for any answers.

·
Registered
465 Posts
We always stored potatoes in the cellar all through the winter and the biggest worry was that the temperature would get too cold and they'd freeze, or too warm and they'd start rotting. By the spring plenty of them would start sprouting anyhow, but I've never seen any pest damage. We stored potatoes in wooden box with air spaces between boards for ventilation and I suppose one could put 1/2 inch wire and fly screen around it if there is a problem with raw potatoes eating vermin.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have a small cool room in the basement, we store potatoes there in a wooden box every year. Right now there is around 150 pounds store there that we grew this year. Never had any problem with mice, so far.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Grandpa always used old/non working chest freezers. He would keep the lid cracked for air circulation. He said it kept the taters at a more constant temp.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Plenty people around here use plain ole non-working fridges that way. At first I though they were chest freezers till I got a closer look :)

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Store them in your basement as suggested. Go to your local True Value or other hardware store and buy a 2-pack of Victor wooden mousetraps for a few bucks. Bait with peanut butter. They prefer that over potatoes but only get one chance to enjoy it!

Martin

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
Also consider why they are on sale in your grocery store. Perhaps they have already exceeded the rate at which their grower or distributor feels they are going to keep well and he's dumping them on the market quickly?

All of the methods mentioned would work well for potatoes you raised yourself, but for potatoes I'm buying I would want to go a different route .... I'd cook them all right away, mash them and then freeze them. That way I know they weren't from a bin where the grower discovered a fast-spreading mold.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts