Question about pigs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by FarmGoddess, Sep 27, 2006.

1. FarmGoddess

FarmGoddess Well-Known Member

This is going to sound strange. I don't raise pigs. Don't know a thing about them except one pig can do a real good job of tearing down your fence. My sister and I were having a discussion about pigs this morning when this question came up:

Is there any such thing as a 'bacon' pig?

Now that everyone's had a good laugh, we were wondering if there was a breed of pig that produced more bacon than a 'regular' pig. I know all pigs produce bacon, but we want one that has a higher 'bacon' ratio. Yeah, I know, odd question, but one that we'd like to know the answer to.

Thanks Ya'll

Farm Goddess

2. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

The bacon comes from the side of the hog. A longer hog will have more bacon than a shorter hog.

3. FarmGoddess

FarmGoddess Well-Known Member

How much bacon can you get off a potbelly pig? My 'neighbor' use to keep one as a pet. Use to. When it got to big and started tearing up his house he shoved it out the door to fend for itself. Since the old adage "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" is true in this case, the pig tore a hole in our fence and has been living on our property for the last month, in spite of continued requests for the neighbor to come get the stupid thing. This morning I caught Piggy trying to break into my poultry run with either fresh eggs or fresh chicken in mind. If I ever get a clear shot, Piggy's going for a short trip to Camp Freezer....

4. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

Tamworths have been called "The Bacon Pig" because of their tendency to be long and lean. This probably came from a time when breeding pigs for lard was in fashion, so most pigs were shorter and fatter. The difference between breeds is much less these days, and one pig of a given size will probably give about as much bacon as another.