Question about "pecking" order

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Idahoe, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

We recieved our goats (Lamanchas) yesterday, and immediately two does (both with 6 wk old twins) are heat butting.

I searched the posts and couldn't find out if I should allow them to snog each other like this or not.

They are yearlings with first kids. They have been dehorned, no scurs. One gal has a raw spot on her topknot from the butting. They are now staked apart from each other, but this is only until I find out if they should be allowed to establish their "relationship" or not.

Total goat newbie here, just don't want to permit this if it is going to cause serious injury or further "relationship" problems. Funny, they are part of the same herd, and their kids all cavort together.

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Let them duke it out. They'll establish who is the stronger and smarter in a couple days and then they'll get *along*. The dominant will constantly be putting the lower in it's place, but that's how goats are. If you separate them now, you'll always have this problem and you will have to keep them separate forever. They won't seriously hurt each other.

3. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

Makes perfect sense. They will be thrilled and so will I to get off those chains. Thanks!

4. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Snogging? :p That means kissing in our family.

Yep, unfortunately, you have to leave them to it - or separate them.

5. GoatLove

GoatLove Well-Known Member

What mygoat said! I had that same problem when I introduced Ricky to the group. They all eventually settled down in a month or so.

6. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

The word just sorta popped out, he he. Today, they were lying next to one another and shared a water bucket. They must have settled that one quickly :D

7. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

I personally love to watch my pygmies get up on their back legs, arch their backs, wag their tails, and then come down to a soft but meaningful headbutt. Gives them personality. I usually see them do it more often when they are in heat. With pygmies its every 20 days year round.