Question about peach trees

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ruby, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

I could probably find the answer here if I looked long enough, but thought this might be quicker.

I heard some where you need to pick off the blooms from a peach tree the first year they bloom. Does anyone know if that is right or not. I have two, that was planted last spring, and they are both covered in blooms.

Would be mighty greatful if someone could answer that, and I know someone here can.

2. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

Did you plant them this year, or have they been in the ground for a year?
    If they were planted, this year, then keep the fruit to a minimum, so that the growing energy goes into the roots. This can be done by taking the buds off or by pinching the very small fruit, that forms. I prefer to pick the small fruit, this way you know what is viable, and can space the fruit out better. Leave very little fruit on the tree, maybe just a few...This way you still get to TASTE IT, and know what to expect, next year....
    lacyj

3. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

They were planted last spring. They have been in the ground one year this spring.

4. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

You'd probably be o.k with pinching the little fruit that forms, to about 6 to 8 inches apart. Don't let them cluster, or you'll have very small fruit.