Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We live in the country and have been adopted by a male cat. He is tame enough to eat the food we put out for him and we can get close enough to pet him but forget about picking him up! He has something wrong around his ears or the skin behind his ears. At first I thought he was getting banged up in fights but I think he must be scratching the areas behind his ears until they are raw. I'm wondering if he could have ear mites? I was able to spray the raw areas with some anti-pain, anti-bacterial spray after which he shot away from me like a cannon ball. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe some kind of spray I could use on him? I feel so bad for him but it's hard to doctor him when he is so wild.

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
pamintexas said:
We live in the country and have been adopted by a male cat. He is tame enough to eat the food we put out for him and we can get close enough to pet him but forget about picking him up! He has something wrong around his ears or the skin behind his ears. At first I thought he was getting banged up in fights but I think he must be scratching the areas behind his ears until they are raw. I'm wondering if he could have ear mites? I was able to spray the raw areas with some anti-pain, anti-bacterial spray after which he shot away from me like a cannon ball. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe some kind of spray I could use on him? I feel so bad for him but it's hard to doctor him when he is so wild.
Probably ear mites or fleas or a combination of both. It's going to be next to impossible getting anything in those ears. My kitties are inside lumps and they get mighty testy when I put stuff in their ears. I can only imagine how a wild boy like that would react.

The only option I could suggest is to somehow get him in a carrier and take him to the vet. The vet would knock him out and doctor him up. Then you could let him go but he might be so shook up that you would never see him (the cat, not the vet), again.

You could probably get some Frontline on him to help with fleas and ticks, without much problem. I'd do that much anyway, it will certainly help. You're very sweet for wanting to help.

donsgal

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,677 Posts
If you can get close enough to throw a thick towel around him you can pick him up that way. If he wont let YOU pick him up normally, he certainly wont let a Vet do it either

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone for your help. Tomorrow I'm going by the vet's and see if he will give me something to sedate him long enough to doctor him up. I'm pretty sure it's not fleas or ticks because our other cat isn't bothered with those. But I'll check that out while he's "under". Anyway, I really appreciate the advice. We are pretty attached to him and hate to see him suffer.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
I just had my schnauzer in to the vet yesterday because of ear problems. The vet at first thought it was a yeast infection until he took a swab. It was ear mites. We also have a stray cat, (but at least he's tame) that the dog has been playing with. I got a little of the treatment in the cat's ears, but next week when I have to treat them again I'll need help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts