Question about New Mama

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by OUVickie, Mar 18, 2004.

1. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

Our cow gave birth to her first calf last night and it doesn't look like the afterbirth has been delivered. What looks like the remains of the cord is still hanging. Will she expel it eventually or should I try to pull it out?
    I don't want to hurt her but I don't want her to get an infection either.

This is her first calf and we have a real problem on our hands because our horse decided to keep her away from the calf and he was seperated from her for at least 9 hours after he was born. Even though we penned the horse up this morning I'm worried about the calf now since he hadn't yet had his first suck from Mama when I left for work this morning. I'm anxious to get home and check on him but now I'm worried about both of them.

2. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Vickie
    Make sure this calf nurses asap if you dont get colestrum in it very soon you will loose the calf or it will never do well!!!!!!!!!!!! The longer the calf goes the less it can utalize the antibodies. Do not try to remove the afterbirth give her time, when the calf nurses it releases hormones that stimulate the uteras to expel the after birth. If the calf isn't nursing on his own pen the cow and milk her and bottle or tube the calf it must have mothers milk, if she doesnt let the calf nurse tie her so she cant refuse. Once the calf nurses and gains strength it will be persistant until it gets to eat :D
    Mr. Wanda
    Mike

3. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Mike pretty well said it all. It's wise for people who pasture horses with their cattle to move them before calving, situations like this aren't that uncommon. I do hope everything works out well for the calf.

4. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

ditto.

The only thing I can add is that if you can't milk the cow, calf won't nurse, you can buy a colostrum mix at the feed store. Feed it as directed, with a tube if necessary. This must be done ASAP!

Jena

5. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, it's looking hopeful. Hubby penned the horse up this morning and when I got home this evening the baby was on his feet and nursing. It looks like she delivered the afterbirth too. The calf is walking around pretty good and looks like he has energy so he must have nursed good today. Hopefully he'll be okay. She's taking really good care of him. Thanks for the info Mike. I think I better read up some on calving. We're too green at this and I'd be extremely upset if we'd lost that baby needlessly.

Believe me I had my say about that *$%# horse! I guess being a cutting horse the idiot thought he was doing his job. He may not get out of that pen until that calf is weaned if I have my say so about it!

Thanks everyone!!