Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
earlier this year the tree had leaves and was looking nice....then came a late hard frost and it lost all its leaves. it never came back out. It doesn't seem dead.....as in the branches are not brittle but I'm wondering will it come back out next year? I don't want a dead tree in my front yard.

·
Registered
31,752 Posts
If it didn't come out this spring, I'm afraid you've lost it. There's a 'sick tree treatment' you could try, it's kinda painstaking & if the tree is really dead it won't bring it back. If you go to dirtdoctor.com & clilck on 'library' then 's' for sick tree treatment or maybe it's just under 'trees', you can print out the instructions.

We had a near dead tree we saved doing this treatment.

Patty

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
I can only sympathize - my dogwood was just beautiful, managed to come through the late freeze okay with just a little damage. Then it rained for a month, quit and turned off hot - suddenly, dead dogwood.

I'm still hoping it will come back out, but it'll be mutated if it does, we may just have to start over.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
if the branches arent brittle I would say that you have a chance.

the frost may have just stunted its growth for this year

I am no tree expert though so my words of wisdom prob ant even worth $.02

·
Premium Member
4,440 Posts
I wouldn't count it out...when in doubt keep watering once a week and see what next spring brings. They require alot of water which is why you often see them by rivers and ponds. Willows, like poplar trees are pretty hard to kill--often they will spout when you use them for fence posts!! DEE

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well we're blessed with underground springs....all over. That's why its where it is. always was a damp spot in the yard there. I'm still hoping it will come back next year. I miss the shade it gave even though its only about 5 years old. It blocked the front of the house there from the afternoon sun coming in the windows.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts