Question about my shamrock

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by blhmabbott, Aug 9, 2004.

1. blhmabbott

blhmabbott We're gettin' there!

I have a purple shamrock a friend gave me a couple years ago. It is potted in a small pot (the one she had it in), but it's not growing very well. It only has about 8 or 10 stems, but they are healthy. It blooms every so often, but not very much because of the small amount of stems. I want to repot it and add some new dirt, figuring that would help it bush out some. I was in a place of business here a week ago and she had one that was gorgeous! Nice and full, lots of blooms, and about a foot tall! Mine is only about 8 inches tall even though it's at least a couple years old. I can grow an excellent garden, but I kill any house plants I touch :rolleyes: . I even killed DH's cactus collection. Does anyone have any suggestions? I love this plant and want to keep it healthy! Thanks!
    Heather

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Just buy a good quality potting soil and a bigger pot. If you tend to overwater things, get a clay pot and if you tend to forget to water, get a plastic or glass pot.

3. Laura626

Laura626 Well-Known Member

Sometimes shamrock plants can get crowded in the middle. When you go to repot it you'll find little things that look like corn on the cob with each one having a stem coming out. You can gently pull these apart and plant them all in a larger pot with the little "cobs" slightly separated. Cobs should make new "babies" as offshoots and the plant will get bigger. Also, just as long as the plant dosen't look like it's dying or diseased, it might just be in a rest period-I've had plants rebound after a few weeks/months almost as though it was going thru a "winter". This happened to my shamrock plant every year-I just can't remember the actual calendar date. I hope this helps!!

4. blhmabbott

blhmabbott We're gettin' there!