Question about my girl rabbit...

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by amporter, Aug 28, 2005.

1. amporter

amporter New Member

Hi I have been on the poultry forum for a while but never here. I have a quick question, we have 2 males and 1 female in the same cage right now. We are in the process of buying the wood and wire to get them properly separated but in the meantime they need to live together. We discovered this afternoon Jasmine had a baby. It was alive but has now passed on. We didn't even no she was pregnant. I need to know better what to do for the next time. What signs to look for, etc. We do want a few more babies before separating them all but I am not sure what I need to do for a higher survival rate. I am not sure if she had any more that may have gotten eaten or if she still needs to give birth or what. I have her separated temp in our cage we had for our 4 ducks when they were babies and made a temp card board box with nesting material in it just in case. Anything else I need to do?

I was excited yet surprised to see a baby.

Thanks!

-AMP

2. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

I don't mean to be rude, but what were you thinking? Why on earth would you keep a doe with two bucks? IMHO, I see an animal cruelty issue here.

3. Lilandra

Lilandra talk little, listen much

:nono:

if you are interested in a breeding program - its best to have more does than bucks... BUT if you are a pet lover and picked out three very cute rabbits, put them in a large cage with the goal of building bigger cages as they grew up and oopsy - you picked two boys and a girl - not three of a kind...

or someone made a boo boo when sexing young rabbits and you got two boys not two girls...

THATS how having 2 boys and a girl together happen - not an intended result, not animal cruelty...

lighten up - its all a learning experience no matter how long you have been keeping rabbits or other livestock... they always suprize you :)

4. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

Rabbit breeders are known to be very helpful and willing to share information with new and/or prospective rabbit breeders and owners. Ever wonder why this is? It's because rabbits are so totally different from most other animals, and let's face it... the general public has absolutely no idea about this! It's easy to "assume" (and you know what they say about that) that rabbits, like other animals, breed only at certain times once or twice a year, and have to be fully "mature" (e.g., 6 to 12 months of age for rabbits) in order to breed. This may hold true for most animals, but not with rabbits!

amporter... accidents happen, but please do yourself a favor and buy a book on rabbits, or at least, borrow some from the library. Do some research before you proceed with any breeding program.

Christiaan... don't be so quick to judge. Remember... you were once new to rabbits, too. Each situation is different.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, ARBA Commercial Department Committee

5. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member