Question about Mini Rexes

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Tiffann4k, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Tiffann4k

Tiffann4k Well-Known Member

Please bear with me as these may be stupid questions but how big does a mini rex get ? On the arba website they look rather large. Also can a mini rex be bred to a NZ? or a Cali or a Florida for a meat type rabbit or is it not worth it ?

I have nzw & B , Floridas & Calis for meat and we just got some mini rexes so I was wondering if they could be bred to my meat rabbits or not.

Thanks

Tiffany

2. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Minis get to be about 4 pounds- grown weight. If you're looking for variety try the full grown rex. If you don't like them, how about a Creme or Champagne D'argent? All have beautiful coats- the rex have amazingly soft, plush fur, and the D'argents have beautiful colors.
    Any rabbit could be bred to any rabbit, but keep in mind that if the buck is bigger then the doe, the kits may develope too large for her to give birth to. If done the other way around (small buck, big doe) there should be no problem.

3. pointer_hunter

pointer_hunter Well-Known Member

I had a blue solid mini-rex buck that I bred to NZW does just to get some color. I got medium size rabbits when full grown. One white, two black/brown broken, and two that looked like a wild rabbit snuck into the building. They all tasted pretty good.

4. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

The breed standard for Mini Rex is 3 1/4 to 4 1/2 lbs. for adult does and 3 to 4 1/4 lbs. for adult bucks. The show standard for full-size Rex is 8 to 10.5 lbs. for
    adult does and 7.5 to 9.5 lbs. for adult bucks. Keep in mind that these are the requirements for show-quality rabbits and that a rabbit not falling within these weight bounds is disqualified. Non-show quality animals may be a bit bigger or smaller.

I once bred a show-quality black Mini Rex buck to a Californian doe just for fun. (vice-versa, a Cal buck over a Mini Rex doe could cause problems with the delivery) The resulting bunnies were wild-agouti colored with rather soft, but not rex, fur. I probably would have gotten rex fur if I'd bred the offspring, since the gene for rex fur is recessive and both parents must carry the gene in order for it to show up in the offspring. The one doe I kept for a while was about 7 lbs. as a young adult. The bunnies also seemed to inherit a lot of the Mini Rex cutesy-baby-bunny facial features: large eyes and smallish ears. For serious meat purposes though, you should probably stick with specific meat breeds (Cals, NZ, Champagne D'Argents, etc.) and their crosses.

Just a sidenote: some folks have developed a new breed that they're trying to get recognized with the ARBA called the Velveteen Lop. It's like a small English Lop (the breed w/ very long ears) with rex fur. Kinda interesting.
    --rabbitgal

5. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

:) Tried that. I was trying for a smaller rabbit, though, for pets, and used a holland lop. It takes alot to get the ears down where they should be, especially when you try to get the rex fur as well (probably why they used english lops!). First few generations had "airplane" ears and curly rex fur, not the best! They also tended to be a bit on the larger side compared to their parents, I wonder if this was because they were hybrids. But we did get some that had nice fur, not great by show standards (I showed mini-rex), but still nice, just a bit thin.

6. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

Not really... it had more to do with the body type. New breeds have to have more than "just" the fur in difference in order to be accepted by the ARBA. A simple, rexed Holland Lop just wasn't enough, so the Standards Committee recommended the English Lop due to its totally different body type. The ARBA is being over-run with the Compact body type breeds! They needed something totally different. This is why the Mini Plush Lop (e.g., Rex x Mini Lop), although popular, will never be accepted by the ARBA.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, 2005 ARBA Commercial Department Committee

7. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

That's stupid.

8. Tiffann4k

Tiffann4k Well-Known Member

well it sounds like these guys will just be pet rabbits then ;)

We also have an english lop and I just love the ears! Too cute!!

9. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Far as I know, the Velveteen Lop breeds true & has a certificate of development, it's just a matter of getting the standards commitee to accept them. Really sad, all these 4-class compact breeds and folks seem to be neglecting the other breeds. Thought about getting into Mini Rex myself, but they're so popular, figured my time would be better spent on a breed that's endangered.

BTW, someone's looking for rex w/ curly fur, trying to develop a new breed or something: astrexrabbitscurlywavybunnies.com/donations