Question about making cages

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Laura Workman, May 17, 2005.

1. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

How do you get a nice sharp bend in the wire? Seems like a dumb question, I know, but all I can think of is bending it over a 2x4, and that would result in rounded corners. Any hints?

2. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

You could invest in a metal brake (~$100) but a 2x4 works even better. I wouldn't recommend too sharp of a bend as the wire may fracture and eventually break.

3. woolyfluff

woolyfluff Well-Known Member

frist why do you need to put wire in the cornoe .Made habbit hutch about 7-8 years 12ft long5ft deep6ft high 2 deck high just wire where the windows I used 1inch boards and 2x4 for the conors believe the only place they have chew is the roof during months we place feed bags over the outside to keepthe wind out not try to be smart but it sound like you are tryingto make it fancy the rabbit win't mind as long as it is dry and safe

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    An easy way to bend square cornors is to take 2 pieces of 1 by 4 and a pair of 'C' clamps. Sandwich the wire between the wood, add the clamps to the ends of the wood and bend away.

5. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

You can use a hammer to bang the metal into a sharp corner. clamp the wire down w/ a 2x4 ( or equal) and on top and underneath and bang straight on the wire or use another board to bend the wire.

6. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

I agree with cowboy joe, the bend you get with a 2x4 would be plenty sharp and would result in less metal fatigue. As for using wood in a rabbit hutch--Wood + Rabbits = Unsanitary. All wire is the way to go both for the rabbits health and the owners convenience in cleaning.

7. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I don't make bends at all. I cut each panel separately, and J-clip the whole thing together. I go through a few more clips, but it's easier for me, and plenty sturdy, even with big rabbits.

8. DMC_OH

DMC_OH Well-Known Member

Meg Z, I agree. I have a larger breed of bunny and it works just fine for them.

9. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

I use a brake but it cost me a lot more the $100!