Question about making butter with ice cream maker!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ravenlost, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Can I use a small electric ice cream churn to make butter in? I don't have a butter churn of any type (or the upper body strength to shake a jar long enough). I do have an electric ice cream churn that I never use. Sure would like to find a use for it.

2. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

It's the same principle. Try it out and let us know how it works! :yeeha:

3. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

That's a GREAT idea ... looking forward to your results.
    Good luck :)

4. pamda

pamda Well-Known Member Supporter

I make butter in my blender. Works good and fast. Used to have a place where I could get 1 quart of whipping cream for .25 right about the time the date was up. Boy I miss that. I only eat butter, no marg. Icky. PAM

5. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

yeah let me know if it works, give it a try, i would assume it would work just fine i mean if you can make butter by shaking a jar for 20 minutes, why not in the ice cream machine ... sounds like a good idea !
    B

6. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

i use the blender works great i imagine ic machine would too but i would think blender is easier clean up?

7. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, as usual I've put the cart before the horse! We're THINKING about getting a pair of goats. If we do I plan to milk the nanny goat. I got to thinking about making goat butter and then got to thinking about HOW to make the butter and thought of my ice cream maker (which I never use).

When it all comes together (probably in a few months) I'll let you know how it works!

8. momofmany

momofmany Dayenu farms

colo-Dado! As my enthusiatic 4 yo calls it.
    I also pondered this this week. I got a brand new IC maker for $2.50 at a thrift store. It works for ice cream, but I never seem to use any thing for what it was intended for. Needless to say my husband was not suprised when I busted our food processor making beef sausage.....
    He also wasn't suprised when I brought home some great big wooden half crates to brood chickens in the kitchen.

I have always been an odd one. I will try to make butter in the IC maker this week, I will let you know how it goes.

I haven't introduced my self yet in this forum. btw, I am Nicole. I live in the beautiful state of Colorado, and I am a chick-a-holic (as someone stated in the poultry forum :) ) I am not sure what you would call an addiction to using my kitchen appliances in very unconventional ways...but I have that too...

9. bantams

bantams Well-Known Member

I thought of this too, since I make a lot of butter in my food processor. I have a 6 qt White Mountain ice cream maker. I put about 4 qts of cream in there and let it run for about 6 hours - nothing happened. I think it just moves too slowly. However, this might work with a different type of ice cream maker.

10. WIPPdriver

WIPPdriver Well-Known Member

My wife was talking to an old mexican man and he said he used to make butter while he was plowing, discing, etc. on a tractor. What he did was put whole milk in a plastic milk jug and tie it to the tractor letting it bounce on the ground as he operated the equipment. He said it never failed to work. Thought it was neat.

Marlin

11. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

the key thing is the temp it wont make if it is too cold has to be room temp about, and for the goat milker you might think about a cream separator if you want butter, from what i read goat cream wont rise. i have a couple i dont use cause the jersy cream rises so easy its not worth the clean up to use it.

12. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Momofmany: " I am not sure what you would call an addiction to using my kitchen appliances in very unconventional ways"...

It is called "thinking outside the box" and is a very desirable trait.

My mom used to milk the cow, fill a mayonaise jar and strap it to the jeep while we rode over the 100 acres. When we got home we had fresh butter.