Question about lime in water...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jillis, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I originally posted this on the goats forum, but got no reply so I'm bumping it over here...

We have a well that is drilled down to 120 ft. If pumps 60 gallons per minute of very clean water (it had a full battery of tests when we bought the house.)
    It is, however, very HARD water---loaded with lime. We have to have our coils boiled every three months or so. Also I use bottled or filtered water for tea, because I don't like little white things floating in my tea.

Is this lime a good source of calcium for my goats (or us humans)? They drink the same water we do...just wondering...

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

The calcium in hard water is a fine source of the mineral. However, you'll never get your daily calcium requirement by just drinking the water....no matter how hard it is.

3. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

Cabin is right. If you drank a gallon of that water each day, and the calcium is around 100 ppm (which is very hard) you'll only get 0.38 grams of calcium each day. The RDA is 1000 milligrams, so you'll have to drink 2.63 gallons of that water daily. If only 50% of that calcium stays behind in your body, you'll have to drink 5.26 gallons of that water each day.

Hope you're thirsty!!!! LOL

4. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I had a feeling if I posted over here that Cabin Fever would have an answer.
    rwinsouthla, thanks to you as well!
    I was thinking in terms of my does that give birth and the chances of theri getting "milk fever" which you treat with IV or SQ calcium. So I was wondering, as I knew our water had a lot of lime, if that might not offset it somewhat.

I also wondered if it might not contribute to urinary calculi (kidney stones!).