Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, there are a heard of goats/sheep near my home and they have four or five big white dogs guarding them.

I would like to know what kind of dog they are, but LGD pretty much all look alike. I KNOW that they are not Great Pyranees because you can tell them apart, however; can anyone tell me how to tell a Kuvaz, Akbash and Maremma from one another? I look on images.google.com and all of them look exactly alike to me!

I think they are maremmas, but I'm not sure. They look a lot more "Herman Munster-ish" (Tall and lanky with very long faces), but I still am not sure.

Any tips for identification?

Donsgal

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Anatolians come in more than one color. But mixed breed LGD could be what they are too as goat and sheep people generally don't care if their dogs are purebred as long as they are a mix of Livestock Guardian Breeds and no other. Other breeds mixed in would create confusion with their instincts. There are lots of Great Pyrenees and Anatolian mixes out there for instance...it is a popular cross.

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Great links. ...but they still all look alike to me. :)
Ours is mixed - mom is Akbash, dad is 3/4 GP and 1/4 Anatolian.
Here's how she looked at nearly 5 months old. She has the amazing 'self cleaning" coat described in the Akbash link.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.