Question about lettuce and corn

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by titansrunfarm, Jul 26, 2006.

1. titansrunfarm

titansrunfarm The Awesome PT & Friends

This is only my 2nd year with a garden, having some issues with stuff:
    1, Why did the lettuce I planted in april grow up intsead of into a "ball". I planted Butternut and Iceberg and both had some very tasty young leaves (I was thinning) and then both varieties started growing up instead of into the round ball and got very bitter tasting. We watered when it didn't rain and fertilizer was horse and chicken poo compost only.
    2, for the 2nd year in a row my silverqueen corn didn't grow, I have huge stalks and have cobs about 3 inches and not fully formed even though the fuzz on top of the husk was completely dry. BTW other things grew well, my radishes, peppers, tomatoes, rutabagas and sunflowers are awesome, but the broccoli is looking puny also.

2. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

When it gets hot or they get stressed (too dry) they go to seed. The first sign is bitter tasting lettuce. Grow lettuce as early and late as you can. I grow swiss chard in the summer--it can take the heat and is very versatile. It can be cooked like spinach which will also not grow in the heat.

3. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

I agree about the lettuce. It just won't take the heat. Neither will the broccoli. As for the corn, could it be a pollination problem? I always read here that corn does better grown in wide blocks instead of thin rows (since it's wind-pollinated instead of insect-pollinated).

4. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

You can sow lettuce in the Fall, after the first frost, but even after the snow flies (if it's not too deep). That's easier than going out in the very early Spring and trying to plant into frozen mud. ;)

As Rocket pointed out, you may have a pollination problem with the corn. Block planting is good, as is tasseling. We tassel by walking through the corn and getting all the pollen stirred up good so it lands on the silks.

Pony!

5. titansrunfarm

titansrunfarm The Awesome PT & Friends

Kewl, so I can get more lettuce still this year?! It did get really hot quickly here. So I should plant seeds again after is cools off in the fall?
    I planted the corn in two rows about 30 feet long and 2' apart, each plant about 8-12" apart. So you suggest I do maybe 4 rows 15 feet each, more square like that? Didn't know about "tassling" will try that too...next year.

6. Jennifer Brewer

Jennifer Brewer Jennifer

Oh yeah, definately a pollination issue. I would do 6 rows 10 ft long. and even then tasseling would not be a waste of time.

I know the seed pack says to spred the rows far apart, but I put my rows about 18" apart.They ar then too close for me to walk through easily, so i don't compact the ground affecting the shallow feeder roots, and it is way too shady for weeds. once the corn gets a foot or so tall I put several inches of compost to further choke weeds, fertilize, and lessen watering chores.

I have always had great pollination an NEVER had a single corn stalk fall over after storm or wind.

I know it isn't what grandpa would do, but it's what I do.