Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time lambing for me, and for my ewe. Friday eve one of my ewes separated herself from the flock and wouldn’t eat. We moved her into the barn alone. Saturday she was just tired and didn’t eat much. Sunday morning she was laying on side panting, then spent the day pawing the ground, circling, up and down, and seemed very uncomfortable. I don’t think she was pushing, but did stretch and drag her legs behind her at times. No dilation, but there does seem to be mucous discharge, and she spent the weekend exhausted and so uncomfortable, and wouldn’t eat. Ok here’s the question. Monday morning she was back to herself, lively and eating, and begging to go back to pasture. She’s still is that way on Tuesday morning, only change is a much deeper baaa, kind of weird like she has a sore throat. Is it possible she wasn’t in labor? I hesitate to let her back out to pasture, lows are still in the 20s, plus she’s a first time mother. But if it could be a while yet, I don’t know if keeping her alone in the barn is a good idea either. It’s a very small barn, not much room for other sheep in there for an extended time. I am very confused about this progressions of events, any thoughts or advice is so appreciated.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
It is not unusual for ewes to experience Braxton Hicks like contractions for a few weeks before lambing occurs. You should try to avoid stressing your ewes when pregnant. One of the most stressful things for any sheep is to be isolated from the flock.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, I guess it was Braxton Hicks, as now she is eating and lively, no signs of labor. But there’s a new problem. We put her back in the field with the others, and the ram started chasing her and mounting her like crazy. Is this ok? We didn’t know if this would stress her out, so we have her in an adjoining paddock. The other ewes and the ram just hang by the fence with her, they SO want to be together. I guess I could just separate the ram, but he is so mellow and good with the flock, wasn’t going to unless I had to...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts