Question about Johnny's Catalog prices

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by HilltopDaisy, Dec 2, 2006.

1. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I feel like a dummy but I want to know if I'm looking at this right. They sell pelleted carrot seeds, and I bought a pack last year. They grew well and were very easy to plant. I want to order them again, in a larger quantity.

Turn to page 14 in your catalog. A pack of pelleted seeds (Bolero) is $2.55. The next size available is 10,000 seeds, correct? And 10,000 seeds is 10 x .95?? I guess I'm having a hard time believing this is right because that's only $9.50 for 10,000 seeds? Is this right? TIA

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

how many seeds in what they call a 'packet'? isn't that usually about 1,000 carrot seeds? :shrug: I'd go for the larger packet for that price. You should be able to use the seeds the following year if you don't plant them all, can't you?

3. HilltopDaisy

A pack is 250 seeds. What I want to know is am I looking at this right?

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

It could be correct, because I've bought garden seeds from the feed store in a packet for something like $1.50 and then they have them in bulk you can buy it by the scoop which they weigh, and it's gotta be like 10 times more seed for just a few dollars more. In other words, it isn't proportional for a larger packet for price/seed over the packaging of the smaller quantity. Often I find some companies call their packets as 'trial packets' and from there offer larger sized 'field packets' or something like that. I've really only bought corn in higher quantities and noticed the big difference of many more seeds for a much lesser cost/seed. Last I bought was about $15 worth of 'half pound' seed (corn) that if I'd bought individual 'packets' would have had to buy many. Those individual packets were $2, so it's a big difference.

5. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

If you will look a little closer the price is per seed count of 1,000, sold in units of 10,000. However when you get to 100,000 there is a different column with even lower pricing per 1,000.

Often catalogs aimed at market growers will have such pricing, i.e. per unit of seeds with this case being 10m or 10,000 seeds priced per m i.e. 1,000.

Edited to correct.

6. LagoVistaFarm

LagoVistaFarm Well-Known Member

You read it right $9.50 for 10,000 seeds. The shipping may be more than the seeds.

7. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

LargoVistaFarm, you are correct and I am in error. I'll edit my post to show the correct figure.

8. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

I buy from Mountain valley seeds. Many of their seeds are pked so often as little as a dollar more will get you twice as many seeds. This year I bout 9 1/2 pounds of garden seeds for $108 dollars and the shipping was only $12.
    I've been buying in bulk for 4 years. My 8 oz. bag of carrot seeds is 3 years old now, so I will put a few in a pot when I start my onion seeds, just to see how well they sprout. They had 95 percent germination last year. I probably have only 3 oz. left so I'll need a new one next year.
    The bulk bags are great if you plant the same thing several times a year.

9. HilltopDaisy

Imagine that.......10,000 seeds for less than $10. Their prices are really great.

10. LagoVistaFarm

LagoVistaFarm Well-Known Member

We have a friend that has been Market Farming for about 20 years now. Very knowledgable. He now does about a 1/2 acre of carrots in hoop houses on bench level trays in soiless mix. The seed planting is a real pain. We did convert a cheapo seeder to handle the pelleted seeds. Carrots are his real passion and he get 25 cents apiece for them. The seed cost is not even a factor. He's been using Jonny's for at least the past 12 years.