question about hunting

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Betho, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Betho

Betho Well-Known Member

I've been reading the "back threads" for the last week or so... SUCH great information! I'm almost to 2005 on page 400 :)

ANyway, I had a question. If you owned a lot of land, do you still need a license to hunt? Does anyone hunt without one?

Reason I ask is that my husband is a felon and for the rest of his life he won't be allowed to own a deadly weapon. Here in Colorado he can't even use a bow to hunt. When the time comes that we're ready to REALLY homestead we're probably going to either go to WA, ID, or MT. Most likely WA because that's where I'm from.

But I was just thinking... hunting is something we've both been wanting to do and learn for quite some time, especially bowhunting. I haven't checked into the laws of WA yet as far as whether or not he can still hunt with a bow but I guess I'm wondering if we're gonna get in big trouble if Dh hunts on our land? I've also wondered about hunting with a gun - if DH and I go hunting together on OUR land that we "own", who is to say that *I* wasn't the one who shot the deer, kwim?

Ugh... this is all so ridiculous. He was a stupid 18 yr old kid who thought it would be a good idea to try selling drugs and now it's going to follow him for the rest of his life. Stuff like not being able to own a gun is the hardest to deal with cuz it kinda puts a HUGE crimp on our life goals.

2. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

I can not speak for CO laws, but will bet heavy that it is the same as it is in WI. Here you need a licence to hunt your own land.

3. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

In MN you do not need a license to hunt small game on your own property. If it has been a long time, and your hubbys nose has stayed clean, I would suggest that you petition the court to have his felony expunged.

4. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

Here in WV a resident land owner does not need a license to hunt on his/her land. All other rules and laws (seasons, bag limits etc...) still apply. Your husband may talk to a lawyer and see if there is a way to modify his felon status after some time period or something.

5. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Well-Known Member

Good suggestion.

Also the law varies. In TN you do not need a license to hunt on your own land IIRC.

6. e.alleg

e.alleg Well-Known Member

As long as you get it all cut up and frozen before anyone sees you it isn't illegal to hunt on your own land without a lisence.

7. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

How much would your husband be willing to risk?

8. pyrnad

pyrnad Well-Known Member

It would not matter if your dh was allowed to hunt on his own land. Felony does away with a lot of his rights to own weapons.

9. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

Most states feel that they (the state) own the game and the land owners rights are secondary. The states are of the opinion that they can go where they want to, even on your private property to protect the game that the state owns.

So DH is a felon, how much time is he willing to do to go hunting?

There is most likely a better way. If he is a one time felon he may be able to get an expongement. Talk to a lawyer about this possibility. The expongement wipes the slate clean. It won't be cheap but it is a possibility for a fresh start.

Now for hunting without being checked (without a license), lots of people do this. There are some things that need to be done if one is to hunt without a license. One is to hunt where you are not going to get checked. Another is to hunt where others are not hunting. In other words get off of the road. It is possible to go to the woods for days and even weeks on end and not see anybody else. This is a skill that can be learned and is very enjoyable. You might just hunt yourself and use him for a bird dog, so to speak. :)

10. tinknal

Ed, I like the way you think.........;)

11. Betho

Betho Well-Known Member

Well he can't do that here in CO, expungement is only for felonies before age 18... he's just turned 18 when it happened. Even though we're moving to WA eventually I imagine it would need to be expunged in CO, right?

12. Betho

Betho Well-Known Member

guns, yes, but some states would allow him to bowhunt.

13. tinknal

Sorry hun, don't trust either me, or you on this one, even if it costs you a couple hundred bucks, talk to a lawyer.

14. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

I know every state is different, but here in Florida you can petition the court after a certain time (don't remember what that is now) for the restoration of rights. You can then vote and own a firearm. Florida also allows felons to hunt with a bow.

This is one of the many disagreements that I have with the gun laws. I don't think just a felony conviction should prohibit someone from owning a firearm. If it's a violent felony such as rape, assault and battery, attempted murder, then yes. But if it's a non-violent conviction they should be allowed to own firearms. If you write a bad check above a certain amount it's a felony, and then you're prohibited from owning a firearm. Doesn't make sense.

15. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Yes. It is better to deal with red tape than to see your hubby back in jail.

16. Betho

Betho Well-Known Member

Already checked into it :(

Although I didn't actually *pay* a lawyer, it was one of those prepaid things so it might be worth checking again

17. Betho

Betho Well-Known Member

Yeah as far as I checked it is only for juvenile offenses in CO. But like I said I didn't pay a lawyer to find out for me so that might be somethng to think about. We definitely don't want him to go to jail over this... so stupid. They actually told him he constituted a direct threat to the President of the US if he could own a gun... geez. All for selling drugs at age 18

18. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Well, I would think that if you do hunt "off season" that I wouldn't tell a living, breathing soul about it and I would process the meat away from the prying eyes of the neighbors for sure.

According to Missouri law, you can kill any animal that is threatening you or damaging your property without a license. Now how a deer would be threatening you is hard to say but I know there are ways around the law. Lord knows, here in Missouri, everybody and his brother poaches.

Maybe, since you are in Colorado, you can go to the judge and tell him that you have seen moutain lion on your property and need the gun for self defense.

There are other ways to procure food without shooting it. Maybe your husband can become an expert trapper! Maybe he can learn to use a spear or a sling. Primitive peoples ate a lot of deer meat before gunpowder was invented.

Just an aside. Yet ANOTHER reason to dislike Colorado, as if I didn't have enough already. You're a wise lady to want to move elsewhere.

donsgal

19. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I'm sure each state or province sets it's own laws. In Ontario, anyone who hunts needs a small game licesnce, even if you are a land owner. A farmer who hunts on his own land can purchase a special farmer's only deer tag that costs about half what a regular hunter's deer tag costs. All the rest big game tags cost the same for farmer landowner, or not.
    A nuisance bear that has to be killed by a landowner farmer, with good reason, has to be reported. That is a change in the law from previous years. Obviously no tag for that.

20. Betho

Betho Well-Known Member

well we plan on having livestock for meat so hopefully we would never need to hunt offseason... but if something happened I'd hunt offseason if it meant feeding my family, kwim?

what a wonderful idea... I never even THOUGHT of that. Trapping is a good idea... and then possibly bowhunting for larger game in season. I still need to find out if he can bowhunt in WA - he can't in Colorado but we're only an hour south of WY and he can bowhunt there, so I know he could in some places.

Yeah CO is beautiful but thanks to the ski resorts is rapidly becoming californized. Time to move out of DH's home state and to mine - WA, and hopefully an area that has less appeal to the californians in eastern WA. Plus it'll do Dh some good to live someplace else!